Sub queries In access

• i want to join two queries so i can take the count of one query and divided by another query to get the percentage of work orders that were completed.

the numerator query:

SELECT Count(MaximoReport.WorkOrder) AS CountOfWorkOrder
    FROM MaximoReport
    WHERE (((MaximoReport.WorkType) In ("PMINS","PMOR","PMPDM","PMREG","PMRT")) AND ((MaximoReport.Status) Like "*COMP") AND ((MaximoReport.[Target Start])>=DateAdd("h",-1,[Enter the start date]) And (MaximoReport.[Target Start])<DateAdd("h",23,[Enter the end date])) AND ((MaximoReport.ActualLaborHours)<>"00:00") AND ((MaximoReport.ActualStartDate)>=DateAdd("h",-11.8,[Enter the start date]) And (MaximoReport.ActualStartDate)<DateAdd("h",23,[Enter the end date])));

the denominator query

SELECT MaximoReport.WorkOrder, MaximoReport.WorkType, MaximoReport.Status, MaximoReport.[Target Start]
    FROM MaximoReport
    WHERE (((MaximoReport.WorkType) In ("PMINS","PMOR","PMPDM","PMREG","PMRT")) AND ((MaximoReport.Status)<>"CAN") AND ((MaximoReport.[Target Start])>=DateAdd("h",-11.8,[Enter the start date]) And (MaximoReport.[Target Start])<DateAdd("h",23,[Enter the end date])));

What i want is combine two queries so i can have one query do it all instead of three.

• You could write a SELECT that puts each query in a set of parentheses, and then has the divide symbol (/) between them and an AS RESULT afterwards.   Potential problem is divide by 0 error.

Steve (aka sgmunson) 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Rent Servers for Income (picks and shovels strategy)

• sgmunson - Wednesday, February 13, 2019 12:05 PM

You could write a SELECT that puts each query in a set of parentheses, and then has the divide symbol (/) between them and an AS RESULT afterwards.   Potential problem is divide by 0 error.

i dont know sub queries at all can you assist

• jeannier1975 - Wednesday, February 13, 2019 12:13 PM

sgmunson - Wednesday, February 13, 2019 12:05 PM

You could write a SELECT that puts each query in a set of parentheses, and then has the divide symbol (/) between them and an AS RESULT afterwards.   Potential problem is divide by 0 error.

It''s merely a matter of placing each of those two queries in an outer set of parentheses, similar to this:

SELECT (query for numerator) / (query for denominator) AS RESULT

EDIT:  Just be sure not to use an AS to alias the item in the SELECT list for each query.

• sgmunson - Wednesday, February 13, 2019 12:15 PM

jeannier1975 - Wednesday, February 13, 2019 12:13 PM

It''s merely a matter of placing each of those two queries in an outer set of parentheses, similar to this:

EDIT:  Just be sure not to use an AS to alias the item in the SELECT list for each query.

• jeannier1975 - Wednesday, February 13, 2019 12:23 PM

sgmunson - Wednesday, February 13, 2019 12:15 PM

SELECT (SELECT Count(MaximoReport.WorkOrder) AS CountOfWorkOrder
    FROM MaximoReport
    WHERE (((MaximoReport.WorkType) In ("PMINS","PMOR","PMPDM","PMREG","PMRT")) AND ((MaximoReport.Status) Like "*COMP") AND ((MaximoReport.[Target Start])>=DateAdd("h",-1,[Enter the start date]) And (MaximoReport.[Target Start])<DateAdd("h",23,[Enter the end date])) AND ((MaximoReport.ActualLaborHours)<>"00:00") AND ((MaximoReport.ActualStartDate)>=DateAdd("h",-11.8,[Enter the start date]) And (MaximoReport.ActualStartDate)<DateAdd("h",23,[Enter the end date])));)

/
    (SELECT MaximoReport.WorkOrder, MaximoReport.WorkType, MaximoReport.Status, MaximoReport.[Target Start]
    FROM MaximoReport
    WHERE (((MaximoReport.WorkType) In ("PMINS","PMOR","PMPDM","PMREG","PMRT")) AND ((MaximoReport.Status)<>"CAN") AND ((MaximoReport.[Target Start])>=DateAdd("h",-11.8,[Enter the start date]) And (MaximoReport.[Target Start])<DateAdd("h",23,[Enter the end date])));)

As RESULTS

and I get an error that i ahve written a subquery that can return more one field without usint EXITS reserved word in the main query FRom Caluse

• jeannier1975 - Wednesday, February 13, 2019 12:25 PM

jeannier1975 - Wednesday, February 13, 2019 12:23 PM

FROM MaximoReport
    WHERE (((MaximoReport.WorkType) In ("PMINS","PMOR","PMPDM","PMREG","PMRT")) AND ((MaximoReport.Status) Like "*COMP") AND ((MaximoReport.[Target Start])>=DateAdd("h",-1,[Enter the start date]) And (MaximoReport.[Target Start])<DateAdd("h",23,[Enter the end date])) AND ((MaximoReport.ActualLaborHours)<>"00:00") AND ((MaximoReport.ActualStartDate)>=DateAdd("h",-11.8,[Enter the start date]) And (MaximoReport.ActualStartDate)<DateAdd("h",23,[Enter the end date])));)

/
    (SELECT MaximoReport.WorkOrder, MaximoReport.WorkType, MaximoReport.Status, MaximoReport.[Target Start]
    FROM MaximoReport
    WHERE (((MaximoReport.WorkType) In ("PMINS","PMOR","PMPDM","PMREG","PMRT")) AND ((MaximoReport.Status)<>"CAN") AND ((MaximoReport.[Target Start])>=DateAdd("h",-11.8,[Enter the start date]) And (MaximoReport.[Target Start])<DateAdd("h",23,[Enter the end date])));)

As RESULTS

and I get an error that i ahve written a subquery that can return more one field without usint EXITS reserved word in the main query FRom Caluse

SELECT (SELECT Count(MaximoReport.WorkOrder) --AS CountOfWorkOrder -- TAKE this alias out altogether
    FROM MaximoReport

/
    FROM MaximoReport

As RESULTS

Take out the alias in the numerator query, and only select a single number representing your denominator in the denominator query.  I can't know which column that is, or whether it's a COUNT() of something.   You'll have to figure that part out.

• sgmunson - Wednesday, February 13, 2019 12:30 PM

jeannier1975 - Wednesday, February 13, 2019 12:25 PM

sgmunson - Wednesday, February 13, 2019 12:30 PM

jeannier1975 - Wednesday, February 13, 2019 12:25 PM

FROM MaximoReport

/
    FROM MaximoReport

As RESULTS

SELECT (SELECT Count(MaximoReport.WorkOrder) --AS CountOfWorkOrder -- TAKE this alias out altogether
    FROM MaximoReport

/
    FROM MaximoReport

As RESULTS

Take out the alias in the numerator query, and only select a single number representing your denominator in the denominator query.  I can't know which column that is, or whether it's a COUNT() of something.   You'll have to figure that part out.

FROM MaximoReport

/
    FROM MaximoReport

As RESULTS

FROM MaximoReport

/
    FROM MaximoReport

As RESULTS

that did not work  says im missing ( or ]

• What does your query look like now?

• I would take a different approach.  Your two queries are very similar.  Rewrite your query to pull any record that would meet either criteria and then use two CASE/IF expressions: one to determine whether the record should be included in the numerator and the other for the denominator.  I haven't written Access SQL in many, many years, so I can't provide much more help.

Drew

PS ((Access) ((You) (((Can) (Never) (Have)) (((Too) (Many)) (Parens)))))

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• drew.allen - Wednesday, February 13, 2019 1:30 PM

I would take a different approach.  Your two queries are very similar.  Rewrite your query to pull any record that would meet either criteria and then use two CASE/IF expressions: one to determine whether the record should be included in the numerator and the other for the denominator.  I haven't written Access SQL in many, many years, so I can't provide much more help.

Drew

Drew can you help  please show me how I can do that Im not familiar with CASE IF
    Im using MS ACCESS 2016

• jeannier1975 - Wednesday, February 13, 2019 1:38 PM

drew.allen - Wednesday, February 13, 2019 1:30 PM

I would take a different approach.  Your two queries are very similar.  Rewrite your query to pull any record that would meet either criteria and then use two CASE/IF expressions: one to determine whether the record should be included in the numerator and the other for the denominator.  I haven't written Access SQL in many, many years, so I can't provide much more help.

Drew

Drew can you help  please show me how I can do that Im not familiar with CASE IF
    Im using MS ACCESS 2016

You still haven't provided the query as you have it at the moment.   Pretty good bet a typo took out a need parenthesis somewhere.   Paste in the query as it was when you got the error and I can fix it fairly quickly.

• Heading out for the day.  Will have to get to this tomorrow if the query finally does get posted.

• sgmunson - Wednesday, February 13, 2019 2:05 PM

Heading out for the day.  Will have to get to this tomorrow if the query finally does get posted.

SELECT MaximoReport.WorkOrder, Count(MaximoReport.WorkOrder) AS NoOfWorkOrders, MaximoReport.WorkType, MaximoReport.STATUS, MIN(Nz(MaximoReport.[Target Start],date())) AS StartOfStartTarget
    FROM MaximoReport
    WHERE (
            (
                (MaximoReport.WorkType) IN (
                    "PMINS"
                    ,"PMOR"
                    ,"PMPDM"
                    ,"PMREG"
                    ,"PMRT"
                    )
                )
            AND ((MaximoReport.STATUS) <> "CAN")
            AND (
                (MaximoReport.[Target Start]) >= DateAdd("h", - 11.8, [Enter the start date])
                AND (MaximoReport.[Target Start]) < DateAdd("h", 23, [Enter the end date])
                )
            )
    GROUP BY WorkOrder, WorkType, STATUS;

• jeannier1975 - Wednesday, February 13, 2019 2:09 PM

sgmunson - Wednesday, February 13, 2019 2:05 PM

Heading out for the day.  Will have to get to this tomorrow if the query finally does get posted.

SELECT MaximoReport.WorkOrder, Count(MaximoReport.WorkOrder) AS NoOfWorkOrders, MaximoReport.WorkType, MaximoReport.STATUS, MIN(Nz(MaximoReport.[Target Start],date())) AS StartOfStartTarget
    FROM MaximoReport
    WHERE (
            (
                (MaximoReport.WorkType) IN (
                    "PMINS"
                    ,"PMOR"
                    ,"PMPDM"
                    ,"PMREG"
                    ,"PMRT"
                    )
                )
            AND ((MaximoReport.STATUS) <> "CAN")
            AND (
                (MaximoReport.[Target Start]) >= DateAdd("h", - 11.8, [Enter the start date])
                AND (MaximoReport.[Target Start]) < DateAdd("h", 23, [Enter the end date])
                )
            )
    GROUP BY WorkOrder, WorkType, STATUS;

Okay, so what happened to the numerator and divisor queries?   I see a COUNT here, but wouldn't' you need yet another COUNT of some kind to get the other number, and then add a column that divides one by the other?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply