Study Resources

• Hi - I am originally a DBA who has been doing SQL DEV work for the last few years as a contractor - primarily SSIS / ETL/ reports projects. I'm wrapping up a contract imminently and am expecting to have some time on my hands while the market re-adjusts to the current pandemic situation, so looking to use this time wisely. Looking at the market a lot of companies are looking for SSAS or Python skills - neither of which I have any exposure to. I do have a lot of PERL and Powershell experience from a previous life as an infrastructure admin so my coding is reasonable. I've spent the last few days when I have had time looking at the internet  and online bookshops, and there is an abundance of material out there, but its hard to see the good wood for the trees.

I'm a quick learner and learn much quicker with hands on based exercises (mental muscle memory). What books / courses / resources would people say are the best / fastest / most useful.

thanks for taking the time to read and any responses will be much appreciated.

Conor

• Invest in your career, and consider a PluralSight subscription. They have monthly subscription options and a free trial offer, so you can start cheaply and see if it's right for you.

Eddie Wuerch
    MCM: SQL

• thanks Eddie, I've no issues paying for a subscription service, as long as it has a good quality library of lectures. I know when we had it at work a few years ago there seemed to be a lot of poor standard stuff up there, but looking again now I can see some stuff from the SQLSkills ladies and gents that looks interesting, and as you say the free trial offer is a good way to dip the toe.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply