String Measure

• Hi all

I'm new to Analysis Services, so please don't shout at me if Im talking rubbish.

I have created a pivot query using standard sql commands which uses a string value as the value of the rows. I quickly found out that I didnt want to use Count or Sum but Max worked fine.

I now want to create a cube using AS to replicate the same results. I can get the cube working using Count ( of the string value ), but really I need to see the actual string.

I've tried setting the Aggregation to None, but get an error saying None is not included in Standard Edition.

I've also tried using Max / Min but get an error saying the data type measure isnot valid becasue its a string type.

Is there anything I can do to get it working ??

hope this makes sense, any help / advice you can give will be much apreciated

• Dear,

You can not use a string as a measure because a string can not be aggregated.

How does your dimensional model look like ?

Franky L.

• Going back a bit now (ie like pre 2003) i think we did this using AS2K (for a survey cube we built), but it was ugly.

If you asked me, I would tell you to look at your reporting requirement, see if you can produce the report/output in something like SSRS, and then use a standard approach (e.g. count of '1's) for the measure, and then simply set up a report that returns the result the way you want to see it (ie use some basic code, like case or if statements, to change the content of the report).

Steve.

• Hi

Basically I've got

1 table containing office branches

1 table containing a list of categories

1 table containing the branch id / cat id / weekending date / the string values they type in against each category

• I'm not sure if you want to count something.

So I think the dimensional model is not complete yet, or a cube is not the solution for the question that must be answered.

What are the string values presenting ?

Regards,

Franky L.

• Based on what you've sent through, I'm not sure why you're attempting to use a cube? You could simply report off this data (in table form) using SSRS.

Steve.

• Hi all

Thanks for your advise. I do have a sql statement which gets me exactly what I need using a pivot table, so I think it would be best just to use that for now.

thanks again

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply