Strange issue with basic SSIS Package

• I have a simple package that takes data from a SPROC and puts it in a .CSV file.

Until today, it ran without issue.

The error it's now throwing is

"The data conversion for column "Phone1" returned status value 4 and status text "Text was truncated or one or more characters had no match in the target code page."

Now all my text columns in my SPROC and my package metadata are NVARCHAR/WSTR.

I tracked the issue down to a single record.

In this record, somebody had entered "?+" before the numeric phone number.

Removing the "?" fixed the package.

My question is, why does the package choke on the "?+" combination? It's just text. I've had no luck with Google so hopefully somebody can explain this behaviour to me.

• planetmatt (11/18/2016)

I have a simple package that takes data from a SPROC and puts it in a .CSV file.

"The data conversion for column "Phone1" returned status value 4 and status text "Text was truncated or one or more characters had no match in the target code page."

My question is, why does the package choke on the "?+" combination? It's just text. I've had no luck with Google so hopefully somebody can explain this behaviour to me.

What's the length of the problem data item?

What's the length of the column in the SSIS package?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin (11/18/2016)

planetmatt (11/18/2016)

I have a simple package that takes data from a SPROC and puts it in a .CSV file.

What's the length of the problem data item?

What's the length of the column in the SSIS package?

100 characters is the length in the package metadata and SQL field length.

The data itself is about 15 characters. Standard phone number + the ?+ prefix.

• I think that the ? could be a representation of a strange character, have you tried to reproduce the error by entering a ? in front of a phone number and see if it fails?

😎

• Another weird thing to throw in the mix.

When examining the raw data in SQL, SELECTing the row in question with a SELECT * does not show the "?". Only the "+9999 9999 9999" shows up and the question mark is nowhere to be seen

But, if I explicitly convert the NVARCHAR to a VARCHAR, then Management Studio displays "?+9999 9999 9999"

• --Edit: removed silly question

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Another weird thing to throw in the mix.

When examining the raw data in SQL, SELECTing the row in question with a SELECT * does not show the "?". Only the "+9999 9999 9999" shows up and the question mark is nowhere to be seen

But, if I explicitly convert the NVARCHAR to a VARCHAR, then Management Studio displays "?+9999 9999 9999"

If you convert to varbinary, what do you get?

😎

• I suspect that the ? is not a ? in the data ... it's some other non-printable character.

This code snippet shows that ?+ is no problem:

IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb..#test', 'U') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE #test;

CREATE TABLE #test (Phone NVARCHAR(100));

INSERT #test

(

Phone

)

VALUES (N'?+9999 9999 9999');

SELECT * FROM #test t

I suspect that the ? is not a ? in the data ... it's some other non-printable character.

DROP TABLE #test;

INSERT #test

(

Phone

)

SELECT * FROM #test t

Yes, I think that although it appears to be a "?", it's not. I think an end user copy and pasted a character that looks like a ? into our application with the phone number from a website and that put it into the database.

The Flat file destination is set to CODEPAGE 1242 ANSI LATIN so I'm guessing the character was not from this code page which results in the error.

But I'm not a UNICODE guy so I'm not certain.

If this is the case, how do I handle this in SSIS?

I suspect that the ? is not a ? in the data ... it's some other non-printable character.

DROP TABLE #test;

INSERT #test

(

Phone

)

SELECT * FROM #test t

Good point. I'd check what the ASCII codes are for the first few characters in that data.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

Phil Parkin (11/18/2016)

DROP TABLE #test;

INSERT #test

(

Phone

)

SELECT * FROM #test t

Yes, I think that although it appears to be a "?", it's not. I think an end user copy and pasted a character that looks like a ? into our application with the phone number from a website and that put it into the database.

The Flat file destination is set to CODEPAGE 1242 ANSI LATIN so I'm guessing the character was not from this code page which results in the error.

Option 1: add more code in your proc to strip out any rubbish characters

Option 2: add a script component in your data flow & write some C# to remove rubbish characters

planetmatt (11/18/2016)

Phil Parkin (11/18/2016)

DROP TABLE #test;

INSERT #test

(

Phone

)

SELECT * FROM #test t

Option 1: add more code in your proc to strip out any rubbish characters

Option 2: add a script component in your data flow & write some C# to remove rubbish characters

No, I found the easy option.

Every thing was Unicode right up until the Flat File Connection where I had neglected to tick the "Unicode" tick box :blush:

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply