StoredProc insert and update multiuser issue

• Happy to day to all,

I am looking into an issue with a stored procedure where are where there are multiple users the code does the select but the update may fail:  (as well i want to be educated on the solution so please push into a direction of learning as well)

SET ANSI_NULLS ON
    GO
    SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
    GO

ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[GetNextTransactionNo]
    @LocationId uniqueidentifier,
    @NextTransactionNo nvarchar(20) out
    AS
    BEGIN
    BEGIN TRANSACTION

set @NextTransactionNo=null

select @NextTransactionNo=[Next Transaction No.] from dbo.[database]

UPDATE dbo.[Database] set [Next Transaction No.]=CONVERT(bigint,[Next Transaction No.])+1
    COMMIT TRANSACTION
    END
  • There is an inherent flaw in this code and generally manifests itself under heavier than normal load.  This is because "select" statement does not lock the row being read that would have prevented concurrent access to transaction number.

The simple fix is to put the update before the select. The update locks the row so that no other session can read transaction number until current session commits.

We had this same issue in production application that worked fine for years until load levels reached certain levels and clients started getting same transaction numbers.

Also, it may be worth noting that SQL Server 2016 introduces Sequence Object that eliminates this issue altogether.

• I am assuming by this code that you want the value after the table has been updated.  You can do this in a single statement now - using the OUTPUT clause.

Here is a quick example:

Declare @tranTable Table (
    LocationID int
    , NextTransactionNo bigint
    );

Insert Into @tranTable (LocationID, NextTransactionNo)
    Values (1, 1)
    , (2, 1);

Declare @LocationID int = 1;

Declare @outputTable Table (CurrentTransactionNo bigint, PreviousTransactionNo bigint);

Update tt
    Set tt.NextTransactionNo += 1
    Output inserted.NextTransactionNo, deleted.NextTransactionNo Into @outputTable(CurrentTransactionNo, PreviousTransactionNo)
    From @tranTable tt
    Where tt.LocationID = @LocationID;

Select * From @outputTable ot;
    Select * From @tranTable tt;

The table @tranTable is just for sample data - you would use your actual table.  This is just to show how it could be done with the Output clause.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Thank you all, very informative and my load testing on this proc exhibited the correct mal-behaviours.  Appreciate everyone. Cheers.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply