STORED PROCEDURE

• Hi following is my stored procedure, its will help me calculate went a particular staff is due for promotion and insert into the table below.

ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[uspGetEmployee]
    @DOLA nvarchar(50), @Gl nvarchar(50)
    AS
    DECLARE @years_old integer, @dob_date nvarchar(50), @staffid int, @deptid int, @level nvarchar (50)

BEGIN
    -- Step 1: Get the date of last promotion
    SELECT @dob_date = D.DOLA,
    @level = D.Gl
    FROM Staff D;

SELECT @years_old = ( datediff (dd, CONVERT(date, @dob_date), getdate() ) / 365 )

if(@years_old = 4 and @Gl >= 15)
    Begin
    SELECT @staffid = ed.StaffId, @deptid = ed.DeptID
    FROM Staff ed
    WHERE ed.DOLA = @DOLA and ed.Gl = @Gl
    insert into SeniorProm (QualifyDate,CreatedDate,DeptId,StaffID) values (GETDATE(),GETDATE(), @deptid,@staffid)
    end

if(@years_old = 3 and @Gl >= 14)
    Begin
    FROM Staff ed
    insert into SeniorProm (QualifyDate,CreatedDate,DeptId,StaffID) values (GETDATE(),GETDATE(), @deptid,@staffid)
    end

if(@years_old = 2 and @Gl >= 6)
    Begin
    FROM Staff ed
    insert into JnrProm (QualifyDate,CreatedDate,DeptId,StaffID) values (GETDATE(),GETDATE(), @deptid,@staffid)
    end

End

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• What is your question?

Also, you're declaring your parameters @DOLA and @GI as nvarchars, but then comparing them to integers. Why? If someone passes a non-numeric value to these, then your SP is going to fail.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• The two different promotion tables are a concern in terms of DB design. You can also combine two of those IF statements into one, as what they do is identical.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Also, just noticed that @dob_date is an nvarchar as well. If it's a date, it's should be declared as so.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Monday, January 8, 2018 5:14 AM

What is your question?

Also, you're declaring your parameters @DOLA and @GI as nvarchars, but then comparing them to integers. Why? If someone passes a non-numeric value to these, then your SP is going to fail.

Bro, i use the integer for number of year. example SELECT @years_old = ( datediff (dd, CONVERT(date, @dob_date), getdate() ) / 365 ). bro the the SP is not working ... i'm stock here please

• Thom A - Monday, January 8, 2018 5:59 AM

Also, just noticed that @dob_date is an nvarchar as well. If it's a date, it's should be declared as so.

@dob_date its a date bro, what should i do ...need an advice please

• Thom A - Monday, January 8, 2018 5:14 AM

What is your question?

yes bro,@DOLA and @GL are both nvarchar... with you quote above , please kindly advise.

• Please don't call me "bro", with respect, we aren't that familiar.

As for your data types, as I said, declare them as what they are; you said yourself that @dob_date is a date, so declare it as one. Your other 2 parameters appear to be integers, so the same idea applies here.

What do you mean by "not working"?

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Monday, January 8, 2018 6:38 AM

Please don't call me "bro", with respect, we aren't that familiar.

As for your data types, as I said, declare them as what they are; you said yourself that @dob_date is a date, so declare it as one. Your other 2 parameters appear to be integers, so the same idea applies here.

What do you mean by "not working"?

sorry for calling you bro, my apology...
    i have change it still the same

• mrplayerplanet - Monday, January 8, 2018 6:56 AM

sorry for calling you bro, my apology...
    i have change it still the same

What is still the same? Can you please elaborate? What is your question, and what do you mean by "not working"?

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• Bluntly speaking, your code requires lots of improvement.
    1. Your Step 1 will totally screw up the result because you are assigning DOLA and GI to two variables. The query does not even have a WHERE clause. I'm sure you have more than one entry in the Staff table. 

2. As GilaMonster said, using two promotion tables is not appropriate.

3. if(@years_old = 4 and @Gl >= 15) and  if(@years_old = 3 and @Gl >= 14) can be replaced with one condition if(@years_old >= 3 and @Gl >= 14)

FROM Staff ed

can be greatly simplified into a

insert into SeniorProm (QualifyDate,CreatedDate,DeptId,StaffID) SELECT ...

Please try to understand (google) what everyone is trying to tell you. Until this moment no one knows what you are complaining about. No one will try to replicate your tables and codes to help you solve the issue. So please provide as much details as possible. For column names like DOLA and GI, at least give us some description.

• RandomStream - Monday, January 8, 2018 10:21 AM

3. if(@years_old = 4 and @Gl >= 15) and  if(@years_old = 3 and @Gl >= 14) can be replaced with one condition if(@years_old >= 3 and @Gl >= 14)

These are not logically equivalent.  The OP's first condition will only return records when @years_old = 4 if @GL is 15 or greater.  Your combined version will return @years_old = 4 when @GL = 14.

• Please provide details on what is meant by "not working."  If you had car trouble would you go to a mechanic and just say "it's broken?"

• doug.brown - Monday, January 8, 2018 4:12 PM

RandomStream - Monday, January 8, 2018 10:21 AM

These are not logically equivalent.  The OP's first condition will only return records when @years_old = 4 if @GL is 15 or greater.  Your combined version will return @years_old = 4 when @GL = 14.

You're correct, Doug. My bad.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply