step -by-step procedure for service pack upgradation?(on sql 2005 server)

• simon.murin (1/7/2010)

Ali_SQLDBA (1/6/2010)

My cluster is a AA cluster. So, I need to install on both nodes then. correct?

Well, I don't like to open a can of worms, but there is no such thing as an AA SQL cluster.

An SQL cluster is always AP.

which you make active\active by installing a second instance which can run on the node which is the passive for the first instance.

Its accepted terminology.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• george sibbald (1/7/2010)

simon.murin (1/7/2010)

Ali_SQLDBA (1/6/2010)

My cluster is a AA cluster. So, I need to install on both nodes then. correct?

Well, I don't like to open a can of worms, but there is no such thing as an AA SQL cluster.

An SQL cluster is always AP.

which you make active\active by installing a second instance which can run on the node which is the passive for the first instance.

Its accepted terminology.

Which make you having 2 independent AP clusters, not an AA one (as an Oracle "real" AA cluster, for example).

The accepted terminology in this case is misinforming.

• well if someone said to me its an active\active cluster I would know what they meant, so that's good enough for me. 🙂

well if someone said to me its an active\active cluster I would know what they meant, so that's good enough for me. 🙂

You do, but I've met a lot of people, who do believe in existance of a "real" AA SQL cluster because of the term acceptance. 🙂

• true, but its a good way to sort the wheat from the chaff 🙂

Any ideas for a new term for it?

true, but its a good way to sort the wheat from the chaff 🙂

Once you have more than a single-instance in the cluster, you now have a multi-instance cluster regardless of what nodes in the cluster are actually hosting the instances.

I never did like the active/active terminology myself - coming from VMS where we actually have true clusters, and a database system that is also truly clustered.

What would you call it when you have 10 instances installed and running on a 4-node cluster? Note: I have not specified which nodes can host all instances - or even whether or not all nodes can host all instances.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Jeffrey Williams-493691 (1/7/2010)

What would you call it when you have 10 instances installed and running on a 4-node cluster? Note: I have not specified which nodes can host all instances - or even whether or not all nodes can host all instances.

I feel we are moving away from what the OP was asking, but in your example the accepted SQL Server terminolgy would depend on which nodes can host which instances. If you had the 10 instances split across 3 nodes and they could all failover to the 4th node, that would be Active\Active\Active\Passive in my book, at least in the initial configuration If the instances were split across all 4 nodes, that would be Active\Active\Active\Active etc.

It may not be the same as Oracle, VMS, whatever, but since this is a SQL Server forum I don't care what terminology other vendors give to clustered instances nor how they implement it.

Lempster

• Jeffrey Williams-493691 (1/7/2010)

george sibbald (1/7/2010)

true, but its a good way to sort the wheat from the chaff 🙂

Once you have more than a single-instance in the cluster, you now have a multi-instance cluster regardless of what nodes in the cluster are actually hosting the instances.

I never did like the active/active terminology myself - coming from VMS where we actually have true clusters, and a database system that is also truly clustered.

a multi-instance cluster 🙂

since the can of worms was opened my only point was that in the MSSQL arena active\active cluster has a definitive, understood meaning, so, whilst strictly true, its just semantics to say a SQL cluster cannot be active\passive, and I wanted to expand this for the benefit of whomever might be reading this thread, and explain what an active\active cluster is.

If you have not been involved in VMS or oracle you are likely to view this subject differently.

to phrase it differently perhaps we should say SQL clustering is always a failover cluster, as opposed to load balanced.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply