Starting point of a Join

• What do you mean by a staring point of a Join?

I am creating a join with some tables and I have been asked table A to be starting point for all other joins.

Now what does that mean?

• sharonsql2013 (8/2/2013)

What do you mean by a staring point of a Join?

I am creating a join with some tables and I have been asked table A to be starting point for all other joins.

Now what does that mean?

I see this is a double question.

Answering the first part, the staring point is when join refuses to work and you proceed to stare at it until it starts behaving as expected

Answering the second part, your boss means he/she wants table A to be the "driving table" on the join.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • I'm assuming that meant that table A is the table referred to right after FROM.

Example:

SELECT .......

FROM TableA

... JOIN TableB ON ...

... JOIN TableC ON ...

etc.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Great.

Any clue how that will work in crystal?

Not the slightest clue. Any Crystal Reports forums around?

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Great.

Crystal accepts a command per select. If you have multiple select statements in a custom crystal command it will only read the first select through to the bottom of that inclusive statement.

Now, crystal WILL accept joins. It'll accept an entire dynamic variable select statement with multiple sets etc. HOWEVER, Crystal will create its own links. After you do your select statement you need to click over to the 'Links' tab and then look at how the tables are being joined on each other. Check to make sure that crystal didn't create some sort of goofy table join system... You can also right click the links themselves and go to options and see the exact SQL join and modify it.

Crystal is frustrating in that it tries to compensate too many things for you. You'll figure that out over time as you use crystal... trust me :crazy:

What do you mean by a staring point of a Join?

Now what does that mean?

By "starting point of a join" you are talking about the what is more commonly referred to as the Left table. A JOIN table operator (INNER, OUTER, CROSS) operates on two tables; the table on the left of the JOIN operator is the Left Table, the table on the right of the JOIN operators is the Right Table. In the example below table_a is the Left Table and table_b is the right table.

SELECT a_id, b_id FROM table_a INNER JOIN table_b ON a_id=b_id

Understanding your Left & Right tables is important for understanding LEFT and RIGHT OUTER JOINS.

Take the sample code below:

USE tempdb;

CREATE TABLE table_a (a_id int);

CREATE TABLE table_b (b_id int);

INSERT INTO table_a VALUES (1),(2),(5);

INSERT INTO table_b VALUES (1),(2),(10);

... and say you needed this result:

a_idb_id

----------

NULL10

This would get you the answer that you want:

SELECT a_id, b_id

FROM table_b

LEFT JOIN table_a ON a_id=b_id

...but, because you've been asked to make "table A to be starting point for all other joins" you would have to make table A the Left table like so:

SELECT a_id, b_id

FROM table_a

RIGHT JOIN table_b ON a_id=b_id

If you can, check out the chapter about joins in Itzek Ben Gan's Microsoft SQL Server 2012 T-SQL Fundamentals; it's a great read (and totally relevant even if you are not using SQL 2012).

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply