Standard SQL 2016 Basic availability configuration

• Hi,

I got a requirement to configure basic Alwayson availabillity group in sql 2016 standard edition.

May i know prerequisites.

For Basic Always on do we need Active directory,Fail over cluster, and DNS?

I got 2 new blank vms. Do i need to add this two nodes in fail over cluster??? I have to do it everything from scratch. Please help what else i can do it to configure the basic alwayson in standard sql 2016.

Thanks,

Jo

• The requirements are the same for basic availability groups as they are for enterprise availability groups:

Prerequisites, Restrictions, and Recommendations for Always On availability groups

And this has an overview on setting it up:

How to Set Up Basic Availability Groups in SQL Server 2016

Sue

• Thank you very much.. How many databases we can add in the Standard Allwayson group?

I see only one db can be added in the standard edition. What if we want to add more dbs to group?

Can you please clarify.

• You can have one database in a basic availability group and can't add databases to the group - that's one of the difference with enterprise availability groups. You can have multiple availability groups though with either edition.

Sue

• Thanks Sue.

Sure. once we configure the Basic Always on configuration in Standard edition can i apply license of the enterprise edition later on for SQL Server? Then we can add multiple dbs to alwayson group..

Please suggest is this ok to do it?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply