SSRS : Sparkline Formatting Issue

• Hi Everyone,

I have attached a screenshot which has two sections in it.

The set of sparklines at the top shows lots of grains, whereas those at lower part of screen are very smooth. This is the issue and I don't know why such a difference.

Does a look at the image ring any bells to anyone ?

The two sparklines are exactly same types and no properties have been changed(Default set). Look becomes even weird and extremely grainy in PDF export, where the one at the bottom appear very smooth which is the way I would expect for both the sets of sparklines.

Has anyone faced this kind of issue? Any help would be most welcome.

• Can't say I've come across this, but two thoughts come to mind:

1) Perhaps two different chart objects exist between the top sparklines and the bottom lines. If so, check if the top line charts are defined as "Line Chart" vs. "Smooth line chart". The bottom sparklines appear to be defined as "Smooth line chart".

2) If the same chart object is being used for the top and bottom lines (i.e., there's only one chart object), then I'm wondering if the grainy lines are the result of differences in scaling (y-axis min/max values)?

If the min/max values are being set dynamically, what happens if you explicitly set the min/max of the y-axis so that all line charts use the same scale?

Also, since you've posted this in a SSRS 2005 forum, I presume you're using SSRS 2005?

As a related tagent regarding sparklines and scaling, here's a link to an article by Stephen Few regarding best practices: http://www.perceptualedge.com/articles/visual_business_intelligence/best_practices_for_scaling_sparklines.pdf

--Pete

• Hi Pete,

I just didn't realized I was in 2005 forum. I am, in fact using SQL Server 2008R2.

Athar

• Hi Pete,

Jut thought to update you on this....

the object types were exactly same - "Line" and not "Smooth Line", still there were Issues.

There could have been issues with scaling, though I doubt, it was set to auto.

but then I fixed the issue by doing what I do most of the time when nothing else works - recreating the object in design. Just recreated the tablix and everything is fine now. Both the charts are exactly similar now. I am happy and so is the user.

Athar

• Thanks for the update -- yeah, recreating objects in SSRS is a last resort for me too; don't have to do it very much thankfully.

Glad you're in ok shape now.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply