SSRS future

• I am currently working on SSRS AND SQL (with Exp in SSIS and some in SSAS).
    what's the future of SSRS with tools like Tableau and other in market. .
    Is SSRS is loosing market.

• super48 - Friday, May 26, 2017 5:03 AM

I am currently working on SSRS AND SQL (with Exp in SSIS and some in SSAS).
    what's the future of SSRS with tools like Tableau and other in market. .
    Is SSRS is loosing market.

I think Tableau competes more with Power BI than with SSRS so I'm not sure that comparing SSRS and Tableau would be realistic. 
    I think SSRS (and Power BI for that matter) are going to be fine in the near future. I don't know if anyone can say anything about any product in the long run as things change so often and quickly in the IT world.
    SSRS itself has been competing with alternative products for over 15 years and has done a pretty good job. When it first came out, I would guess it could have been Crystal Reports and Active Reports as the leaders. SSRS did well in gaining traction against those and other products.
    They all have different strengths and weaknesses but Microsoft manages to keep their reporting products fairly easy to use and relatively cheap. But like I said, I really don't know if anyone can predict what things will look like in the long term. Who knows...could be something like Pentaho taking the lead.
    A lot of the reporting skills are transferable from one product to another - there are a lot of similarites. You have SQL as a good foundation. That along with SSIS and SSAS, I probably wouldn't be too worried if I were you.

Sue

• SSRS on mobile is getting better. Power BI will probably integrate with SSRS as well as R studio results so I say SSRS is in a good place for the time being.

• Hi, it's horses for courses
    Tableau, PowerBI class themselves as 'self-service BI' applications. Providing tools for non-technical users to construct their own content (known as visualisations). So, providing the user has access to a properly constructed data source they can interact with their data and author content

Content maybe shared with others and some pretty fancy graphics are available

SSRS is more centrally controlled and is used, in our customer base, to deliver information defined and needed by the organisation. This tends to be every ones single view of the world

With personally authored content it's not always possible to determine that apples are being compared with apples. In my experience, SSRS content tends to authored in a controlled environment so consumers are aware the result-sets returned are as it 'says on the tin'

All the best,

Duncan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply