SSRS Export to word - error: the rectangle is too complex to export to Word

• There is a report that has been in production for years but now is throwing an error when trying to export it to Word. The error is:

The Rectangle is too complex to export to Word. Please group the Report Items together into rectangles to simplify.

Nothing has changed anywhere, and I cannot find an answer to this anywhere. Can anyone here help?

• Nothing has changed anywhere

Something has changed, somewhere, or this would not happen. Server o/s update, .NET update, underlying data, permissions, other software installed, ...

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Definitely, there would have been some change; I meant, no intentionally introduced changed. What would it be? How can I fix this? Any guidance is much appreciated!

• this might be data related.

so far, lets say Word had to render x number or rows of text boxes, and now the data finally exceeds the number of objects word can render;

can you tweak it to render top 10 and see if that works?

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• It doesn't work that way too.

• Can you reproduce the error locally?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Yes, it is the same locally too. I researched. There is no much resource about this. Thanks though.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by  Kenean.
  • Kenean wrote:

Yes, it is the same locally too. I researched. There is no much resource about this. Thanks though.

It's starting to sound like a software update issue. On a test machine, can you roll back any o/s updates to just before it stopped working? And look for any other 'suspicious' updates?

Also, check the application Event Log. There may be some more-verbose info there about the error.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply