SSRS as a data source in Excel 2010

• Hi l'd llike to know has anyone ever used a reporting services datasouce through excel 2010.

I like to know how i can connect to a existing report on SSRS and be able to refresh this in excel, rather than having to export the report to excel each time.

Thanks.

• I can't say I've ever seen this done. I'm skeptical that it is even possible but perhaps you are asking the wrong question. You should maybe ask yourself why you want to do this in the first place.

If you are always outputting to excel what is the reason? If it's to do extra calculations/create pivot tables etc. then why not do this in reporting services itself?

If it's for some other reason and you simply have to see this data in excel, consider making the report a view or (if it needs parameters) a stored procedure and then connecting to the db from excel. I have to say I don't like this approach but I've seen it done successfully in the past. You can even set up cells to pass parameters into your query but I think that's for discussion on another website!

I hope you find my thoughts helpful 🙂

I'm on LinkedIn

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply