SSRS 2016 install on FCI with AAAG.

• Appreciate advice here as I am slightly confused.

I need to install SSRS 2016 on an existing 4 node, cluster with AAAG.  I don't particularly need HA here or DR.  I guess I may as well read from my local secondary server as best practice.

How would you implement this install?

As SSRS is not cluster aware can I install on one of my existing servers here?  Or should I stand up another server?

Thank you!

• Spinning up another server for SSRS would require additional SQL licenses.  But if your covered until the unlimited virtualisation rights then that shouldn't be a problem, if not it can get costly.

Again how you implement it is difficult to say as we are unaware of what your reports will be doing.

Realistically you "should" be spinning up a dedicated SSRS box to keep all the HTTP traffic away from the SQL server(s), they just don't need that extra overhead, and then you can squeeze as much resource as possible out of the SQL engine services.

Readable secondary's again, comes down to licensing, you have to license the servers your reading from.  Again if your all VM's and have unlimited rights, your fine, otherwise, again costly.

• Thanks Anthony,

I hadn't at all considered the licence issue.  I suspect we have unlimited virtualisation rights but I'll check.

That issue aside, the reports won't create too much overhead - they are small reads by a small subset of users.  I'm being told now a dedicated additional server is not going to happen for boring, political / poorly planned executive decision type reasons so I need to install onto the existing cluster.

I plan to install SSRS on the 2 x local nodes, create an AAAG for the reporting dbs & attempt to point the odbc connection to the readable secondary.

Any issues with this or pointers gratefully received!

• Only thing to add is to read up on scaled out deployments ensuring you don't need things like load balancing etc.

You will also need to reduce SQL's MAX RAM allowance also to factor in the additional RAM the SSRS service and report running is going to need.  How much is a finger in the air guess, but I'd shave about another 8GB off what you assign to SQL as a starting point.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply