SSRS 2014 Reporting Services Not starting

• Hi,

As per my requirement, I need to select SSIS as Data Source under Report Wizard (Visual Studio 2013). However, there was no SSIS Data source from the drop down.

So, I followed the article https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345250(v=sql.100).aspx to change the RSReportDesigner.config and RSReportServer.config files.

After I made the above configuration file changes, Reporting Services are not starting. When I connect to SSRS using Management Studio, the error I get is Invalid Class System Management.

I tried starting the service using SQL Server Configuration Manager but getting the error 'The request failed or the service did not repsond in a timely fashion'.

Please help.

Regards!

• Have you tried changing the version properties from 10 to 12 to reflect SQL Server 2014?

Not entirely sure this will work though. This article has not been supported since SQL Server 2008 and even then it was listed as not officially supported and not recommended for production use.

Joie Andrew
    "Since 1982"

• Thanks for the reply.

I did replace Version=10.0.0.0 with Version=12.0.2008.0 (That's the SQL Server version running).

If this isn't supported, does that mean SSIS package cannot be used as a Data source under Report Wizard? Please let me know how to approach this.

I need to import an excel data into SQL Database (i created ssis package for this) and need to create a report using Report Wizard (available with MS VS 2013) to use this SSIS package as datasource and deploy report on Report Server. That's my requirement actually.

Regards.

• So a couple of things:

I would try changing Version=10.0.0.0 to Version=12.0.0.0 and see if that works.

The bigger question is whether or not you should be trying to use SSIS as a data source at all. You stated:

I need to import an excel data into SQL Database (i created ssis package for this) and need to create a report using Report Wizard (available with MS VS 2013) to use this SSIS package as datasource and deploy report on Report Server. That's my requirement actually.

If that is the case you have Excel > SSIS > SQL Server Database. Why not just build your report using the target SQL Server Database as the report source? SSIS is an ETL tool and I do not think should be thought of as a data source itself; instead it is used to connect to data sources for transferring and transforming data.

Joie Andrew
    "Since 1982"

• Sure, I will try setting the version to 12.0.0.0

If I have daily new excel data to be shown as report on Report Server, with the method you are recommending, can I get the daily new excel sheet to get auto imported into the database and show report with latest data?

I thought of using SSIS, so that I can just place new excel sheet of data (with the same name in the same drive location daily), then the SSIS package (daily scheduled job) runs and fetches the new excel data and auto imports into the database. Every time the report is run (report manager) it can have updated data by using the SSIS package as a data source in report wizard.

I'm fairly new to the SSRS, please advise, what's inappropriate with my way of approach of if you see other effective ways of acheiving it.

On a side note, I'm planning to create a report to show Storage Consumption Trend by Business Units along with the top consumers.

Thanks.

• If I have daily new excel data to be shown as report on Report Server, with the method you are recommending, can I get the daily new excel sheet to get auto imported into the database and show report with latest data?

Sure, if you setup your SSIS job to run on a schedule and to look for the new spreadsheet.

I thought of using SSIS, so that I can just place new excel sheet of data (with the same name in the same drive location daily), then the SSIS package (daily scheduled job) runs and fetches the new excel data and auto imports into the database. Every time the report is run (report manager) it can have updated data by using the SSIS package as a data source in report wizard.

Your thought process of importing the data using SSIS is good, it is just your way of reporting on it that seems off. SSIS is really meant for transferring data from one or more data sources to one or more data destinations. Once SSIS imports the data into a SQL Server database SSRS will use the SQL Server database as a data source. SSRS should not be trying to communicate with SSIS at all.

Joie Andrew
    "Since 1982"

• I got your point. Thank you.

So, SSIS as Data source under Report Wizard is not mandatory for my use case, I realized.

However, will try to change the version to 12.0.0.0 and see if SSIS actually shows up as Data source or not. Just to verify

Thanks for your quick replies. That's awesome.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply