ssms reports library not registered.

• Windows 7 pro 64.

8gb ram.

Already have SQL2008 installed, and it works fine and great.

Needed to install 2012 alongside for another project. Heard it should be fine to have both running. So I did. Installed MDS, DQS, SSIS, Service, and management tools.

Here's the problem. Launching SSMS 2012, when I click the "new query" button... I get the following error:

library not registered. (exception from hresult:0x8002801D (type_e_libnotregistered))

If I connect object explorer to a server (local or otherwise), and try to script an object, it gives me the same error and then crashes the application.

Can't find anything in google about this. Thoughts?

/////edit//////////

If I launch SSMS 2008, I can use it to connect to 2012 instance. So I know the instance and service are running correctly. It looks like its just the SSMS that is a problem.

• Can't find anything in google about this. Thoughts?

Shot in the dark here, but you could try re-installing the latest version of .NET (4), I had a few issues with SQL Data Tools in the past (crashing) which were fixed by a re-install of the framework.

-----------------
    ... Then again, I could be totally wrong! Check the answer.
    Check out posting guidelines here for faster more precise answers[/url].

I believe in Codd
    ... and Thinknook is my Chamber of Understanding

• I had the same thought. I tried it as well. I still get the error when I try to open a new query.

I've also now uninstalled, reinstalled, etc. I also tried an earlier version of the installer. I've got an older machine that it all works fine on, so clearly its an environmental issue. But for the life of me I can't think what it would be.

• May be a recently installed software or update.

If you are using a PC, you can backup the OS partition and restore a backup before you installed the software or update and try installing them again. Or use Microsoft System Restore (>.<)

I had a lot of problems after installing Visual Studio 2012 + SQL Server 2012 + SQL Server 2008 R2... to the point of restoring the OS partition from a backup (I still don't trust Microsoft System Restore).

Hope it help you.

• This worked for me:

Resolution:

First check if the following is in place.

a. Run REGEDIT

b. Expand - "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT"

c. Expand - "TypeLib"

d. Expand - (91A74EB0-EFA0-482B-B43C-35CFC74B275F)

e. Expand - a.0

f. You should see the following keys

FLAGS

HELPDIR

g. Expand - the key called 0 (zero)

h. Expand - win32

i. right click on (Default)

j. You now should see the following: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\dteproperties.tlb

Next if the steps f - j are missing, create the keys as above and restart SSMS.

If the error still continues then check the path of the "dteproperties.tlb" and modify the above with the proper path

Rudy 🙂

Rudy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply