SSMS output to txt . . . where does SSMS put the output file?

• I ran a report, outputting to TXT, but where does SSMS put the output file?

thanks

• You mean 'Results to File'?

You will be prompted for a file name/location when you execute the query.

Results to Text puts the results into the Results pane, in text format.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by  Phil Parkin.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• i executed several reports, none prompted me . . .

i went to

Tools/options/SQL Server/Results to text

selected my options and said ok....

did i miss something??

thanks

• jeffshelix wrote:

did i miss something??

Did you even read my response?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Yes I did. Did you read mine?

thanks

• Indeed I did. I believe that yours demonstrates that you did not read mine.

Why are you persisting with Results to Text after I told you (implicitly) that this does not even create a file?

• There is a default location you set in the same area where you went to Tools...Options and results to Text. On the General section under default destination for results. Below that is Default Location for Saving Query Results.

Sue

• So, we're talking at cross purposes here.

Results to text put the results out as text in the results window. They don't go to any file anywhere. They're just text instead of a grid. Results to file goes out to a file as outlined by the others already.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply