SSMS New Project

• Hi all,

Hopefully a simple one that won't require a lot of discussion - What is a project in the context of SSMS? In the file menu, when within the 'new' submenu, you can select project. A dialog then appears with options to create a new SQL Server Scripts project, Analysis Services Scripts project or SQL Server Compact Edition Scripts project. What I'm interested in is what a person might use these for, especially with regard to the SQL Server Scripts project. When I selected that type, the solution explorer appears with a tree structure and 3 subfolders for connections, queries and miscellaneous.

So what I am getting at is what does this feature do for me? Is this just a central means of storing a set of scripts which is the only thing i can think of or is there some more powerful function to this that I am missing?

Thanks

Paul

• I find it useful to store all queries and connections for an upgrade coupled with source control

gsc_dba

• Oh and if you double click the .ssmssln file it opens SSMS and all the associated queries...

😀

gsc_dba

• Thanks for your comments, I can see how your second post could be useful in some circumstances if you had a common set of scripts you regularly used. Unfortunately as a developer my code is almost always in stored procedures and i don't need to open anything regularly enough to use SQL Server in this way. I had hoped maybe I had missed something more fundamental to the way it worked that meant I could have a project for each of the products I developed but it looks like its not of too much use for me.

Thanks again

Paul

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply