SSMS (2008) Restore/Backup not showing directories

• In SSMS 2008, I'm attempting to restore from and backup to directories created by an earlier version of SQL Server.

When I look in Windows Explorer, I can see C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Backup (and other directories).

When I try to navigate to this directory in the backup or restore dialogues in SSMS, it gets as far as C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\, then refuses to acknowledge that there's anything in here.

This is my desktop machine, and I have full administrative privileges, so I don't think it can be permissions (I've had a look at the directory permissions, and can't see anything unusual).

• Hmm I just tried all show up fine without issue for me; all though it seems a bit slow comparing to 2005.

Did you try doing restore/backup using T-SQL to see if complains? Maybe there is hdd issue?

Mohit.

[font="Arial"]---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN[/url].
    Microsoft FTE - SQL Server PFE

* Some time its the search that counts, not the finding...
    * I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. :smooooth:[/font]

How to ask for help .. Read Best Practices here[/url].

• Didn't try a backup, but restore worked just fine. I can't see it being a disk problem since I can see everything OK in explorer - it's just SSMS that seems blind to them.

• Hmm try running a trace when you get a file directory? I was reading an article about SSMS for 2005 where it calls extended store proc to get that listing.

I just ran Profiler on 2005 (I don't gto 2008 at work; just on my play box at home) and it is using master.dbo.xp_fixeddrives, master.dbo.xp_dirtree, master.dbo.xp_fileexist, to get the listing for me ..

Run trace with error tracking to see if there is an issue?

Thanks.

[font="Arial"]---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN[/url].
    Microsoft FTE - SQL Server PFE

* Some time its the search that counts, not the finding...
    * I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing. :smooooth:[/font]

How to ask for help .. Read Best Practices here[/url].

• a few things you could try:

- grant the runtime account explicit permissions to the directory

- try creating a folder called 2008backup or something in that directory, does it behave the same way?

I have seen this sort of behavior before and (not saying that its the same in this case) most times it was permission related.

Cheers,

Carlton..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply