SSMA: Data Migration from Oracle to SQL 2008 slow

• Hi,

we are trying to migrate a database from an machine running Oracle 9i (on Windows Advanced Server 2000) to a SQL Server 2008 SP1 64bit (on Windows 2008, 64 bit) with the current version of SSMA.

Once we understood the steps with the SSMA, what step does what etc., we are fine with the migration of the schema (no fancy stuff, no functions, no procedure, just tables), but when it comes to the migration of the actual data ... its really really slow: Network Monitor show about 700 kb/s of data incoming, which results in about 50 hours to transfer the 16 GB of just table contents.

The new machine has 2 Quad-Cores and 24 GB RAM, the old one has 2 CPUs and 6 GB RAM, both from HP, just some years apart.

On the new server its hard to notice that something is actually going on (CPUs almost idle, minimal disk I/O), on the old one you get about 20% CPU used by oracle.exe, but Disk I/O is minimal. Network ist only 100 Mbit/s on one end, but if I copy larger files between the machines I max out the network link, so there is no problem with the network I think.

Questions now:

- Where is the bottleneck ? Or is SSMA just this slow ?

- What can I do to get more throughput during the data migration ?

Thank you

• Dietmar Krause (12/14/2009)

Hi,

we are trying to migrate a database from an machine running Oracle 9i (on Windows Advanced Server 2000) to a SQL Server 2008 SP1 64bit (on Windows 2008, 64 bit) with the current version of SSMA.

Once we understood the steps with the SSMA, what step does what etc., we are fine with the migration of the schema (no fancy stuff, no functions, no procedure, just tables), but when it comes to the migration of the actual data ... its really really slow: Network Monitor show about 700 kb/s of data incoming, which results in about 50 hours to transfer the 16 GB of just table contents.

The new machine has 2 Quad-Cores and 24 GB RAM, the old one has 2 CPUs and 6 GB RAM, both from HP, just some years apart.

On the new server its hard to notice that something is actually going on (CPUs almost idle, minimal disk I/O), on the old one you get about 20% CPU used by oracle.exe, but Disk I/O is minimal. Network ist only 100 Mbit/s on one end, but if I copy larger files between the machines I max out the network link, so there is no problem with the network I think.

Questions now:

- Where is the bottleneck ? Or is SSMA just this slow ?

- What can I do to get more throughput during the data migration ?

Thank you

I see two problems you are running x86 Oracle 9i because it runs in Windows 2000 so you need to make sure you are in Oracle 9i RC2. And then get the SQL Server 2008 SSIS Oracle connector and I am thinking this should be 30 minutes to 1hour transfer. The SSMA also may not be for you if you can use both Oracle and SQL Server.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D9CB21FE-32E9-4D34-A381-6F9231D84F1E&displaylang=en

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply