SSIS: What's New in Denali

• Some very cool-sounding stuff.

See link if you are interested.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Thanks for sharing the links. They had me at "Undo/Redo" πŸ˜€

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• Here you can find a presentation I recently did on SSIS Denali at the Belgian CommunityDay:

http://www.communityday.be/data/PPT/What’s%20new%20in%20Denali%20SSIS.zip

The subtitle is conveniently: The Undo Feature and Much More πŸ˜€

And indeed, very exciting shizzle is about to happen!

And CTP3 was released yesterday! :w00t:

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Here is more detail. Some superb new features.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin (7/13/2011)

Here is more detail. Some superb new features.

Oh crap. I had already trouble putting all the new features of CTP1 into a hourly session.

How am I supposed to cram those new CTP3 features + CTP1 into a 1u15min session???

But indeed, pretty amazing! (it seems they want to compensate SSIS didn't have any changes in 2008R2)

• Phil Parkin (7/13/2011)

The list of new features is impressive...lots of my past gripes have been addressed πŸ™‚

Huge improvements for me:

> Load files with multiple row formats - they regressed this when moving away from DTS, happy to see support again

> 4000 character limit on expressions has gone way - no more verbose logs with useless warnings

> TOKEN & TOKENCOUNT - will make writing the expressions when handling the data rows from files with header and trailer rows much simpler

Nicetys I will remember:

> Change variable scope

> Sort by name

Still missing?

> Ability to handle CSV files as defined by RFC4180. This means properly handling column delimiters, text-qualifiers and line breaks and all variations thereof in the same "line" in the file.

> Skip last n-rows.

Granted the above would be tough to implement as they kind of fly in the face of how SSIS wants to read files however a specialized Flat File Connection could be used...surely something could be worked out...it's a deal breaker a lot of times when handling files generated from *x and mainframe systems.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• Koen Verbeeck (7/13/2011)

Phil Parkin (7/13/2011)

Oh crap. I had already trouble putting all the new features of CTP1 into a hourly session.

How am I supposed to cram those new CTP3 features + CTP1 into a 1u15min session???

But indeed, pretty amazing! (it seems they want to compensate SSIS didn't have any changes in 2008R2)

Wow, good luck working those in. I could see you could easily spending a whole morning on these new features if you sprinkled in demos of the big ones. I am sure it will be great though!

--Plato

• opc.three (7/14/2011)

Phil Parkin (7/13/2011)

The list of new features is impressive...lots of my past gripes have been addressed πŸ™‚

Huge improvements for me:

> Load files with multiple row formats - they regressed this when moving away from DTS, happy to see support again

> 4000 character limit on expressions has gone way - no more verbose logs with useless warnings

> TOKEN & TOKENCOUNT - will make writing the expressions when handling the data rows from files with header and trailer rows much simpler

Nicetys I will remember:

> Change variable scope

> Sort by name

Still missing?

> Ability to handle CSV files as defined by RFC4180. This means properly handling column delimiters, text-qualifiers and line breaks and all variations thereof in the same "line" in the file.

> Skip last n-rows.

Granted the above would be tough to implement as they kind of fly in the face of how SSIS wants to read files however a specialized Flat File Connection could be used...surely something could be worked out...it's a deal breaker a lot of times when handling files generated from *x and mainframe systems.

The most impressive feature for me is the whole new project deployment model with parameters (already present in CTP1). This revolutionizes the way we work with SSIS and it will make configurations, deployment, maintenance and logging a lot more easier.

• From your presentation - hooray!

> easy to diff package format

> relative path references

Koen Verbeeck (7/14/2011)

The most impressive feature for me is the whole new project deployment model with parameters (already present in CTP1). This revolutionizes the way we work with SSIS and it will make configurations, deployment, maintenance and logging a lot more easier.

I have done some reading but have yet to give SSIS in Denali a spin. All my Denali time has been spent on the engine so far but SSIS will get some time soon. I'll definitely give the project deployment area a better look now that you have highlighted it.

--Plato

• Koen Verbeeck (7/14/2011)

I completely agree with Koen here. All of the designer ehancements are nice but the real win in SSIS in Denali is (in my opinion) the introduction of the SSIS server which eases the pain of deployment, configuration & deployment (all of which are inextricably linked).

Its gonna be a great release!

• opc.three (7/14/2011)

From your presentation - hooray!

The first one I got from a quote from Matt Mason (developer on the SSIS team), the second one is about references to environments, not about references to config files (which you won't need anymore anyway).

Seems I used a font for the titles that isn't installed on many computers (Modernae). Pretty ugly on my work computer here :ermm:

• Koen Verbeeck (7/14/2011)

opc.three (7/14/2011)

The first one I got from a quote from Matt Mason (developer on the SSIS team), the second one is about references to environments, not about references to config files (which you won't need anymore anyway).

I understood the relative paths change (remember, reading only so far) as something that would solve the problem where a package today does not where the heck it is in this world when it executes. I was thinking this meant that we could start referencing child packages, log files, data files, etc. without carrying a base path in any way shape or form as long as we knew their relative location to the package's location.

I am sure I missed a lot just looking at the PP pres (fonts not withstanding :-D). Got audio anywhere to go with it?

--Plato

• opc.three (7/15/2011)

Koen Verbeeck (7/14/2011)

opc.three (7/14/2011)

I understood the relative paths change (remember, reading only so far) as something that would solve the problem where a package today does not where the heck it is in this world when it executes. I was thinking this meant that we could start referencing child packages, log files, data files, etc. without carrying a base path in any way shape or form as long as we knew their relative location to the package's location.

Kinda, yes!

Child packages can be referenced without knowing where they (or the currently executing package) are. learn more about that here.

Log files no longer need to be referenced because, in Denali, logging is no longer somethnig that gets configured inside a package, it is something that gets defined when the package is executed and the package itself is not aware of it (and has no additional work to do).

There's no relative paths for data files though I'm afraid!

• Definitely an improvement! I look forward to them lowering the bar on using the SSIS logging.

Any hints on the two "Still missing?" items I referenced above? I was kicking around the idea of writing my own connection object but have not made the time. I think it would be useful to a lot of people from what I see on these and other forums.

Also, do you know of any changes we can expect on the transaction iso level front? It would be nice to be able to change the default for all components from Serializable to something else...a setting at the Project level would be tight.

--Plato

• opc.three (7/15/2011)

Definitely an improvement! I look forward to them lowering the bar on using the SSIS logging.

Any hints on the two "Still missing?" items I referenced above? I was kicking around the idea of writing my own connection object but have not made the time. I think it would be useful to a lot of people from what I see on these and other forums.

What would the connection object do exactly?

opc.three (7/15/2011)

Also, do you know of any changes we can expect on the transaction iso level front? It would be nice to be able to change the default for all components from Serializable to something else...a setting at the Project level would be tight.

No, no changes to isolation levels, nor in how we might be able to specify a global setting for it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply