SSIS vs. SQL Scripting

• I'm writing scripts to import data nightly into a data warehouse. I'm quite comfortable with SQL scripting and am finding SSIS somewhat awkward to use.

I'm considering writing most (all?) of my scripts in SQL Server stored procs and just executing these using SSIS. What do I lose in doing this? Is there a wizard to create fact table update packages?

• I'm in your camp on this one - I'm sure I do some things in SQL script that could also be done in SSIS.  If it works for you, and it's well documented, I don't see any pressing reason why you you should be concerned.  Having said that, I'm not that familiar with the data warehousing side of SQL (am starting to learn it though) and would be interested in seeing if there are some SSIS bits and pieces that do things better & more efficiently than some hand-rolled SQL code.

• Hi Ian,

FYI there is a tool in SSIS which creates a Slowly-Changing Dimension update package. A slowly changing dimension is one which has changes which may or may not need be tracked, but will need to be handled in one of (or a hybrid of) three ways. For instance, an item dimension which needs to keep track of changes to the item's description, or a customer whose address history needs to be kept.

Thanks for your input as well, I think I'll just go with stored procs.

Sam

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply