SSIS subsystem fails to load after GDR 1406 hotfixes are applied

• I have a problem, while on vacation the server guys decided to patch up my SQL Server 2005 for me. The SQL Server version is now, 9.00.1406.00 when I went on vacation it was 9.00.1399.06. Two existing maintenance plans fail saying the SSIS subsystem failed to load.

"Step 1 of job 'jed_Reporter_Full_Daily' (0x5343E646E76C364595F49FFA76016266) cannot be run because the SSIS subsystem failed to load. The job has been suspended. "

I can create new maintenance plans, but receive errors when SSMS attempts to create the job for the maintenance plan. The job is created, but it contains no steps. I also cannot open Business Intelligence Studio or Visual Studio. I can see that there were 5 SQL Server hotfixes applied to the server right before the problems started.

They are:

GDR 1406 for SQL Server Analysis Services 2005

GDR 1406 for SQL Server Database Services 2005

GDR 1406 for SQL Server Notification Services 2005

GDR 1406 for SQL Server Reporting Services 2005

GDR 1406 for SQL Server Tools and Workstation Components 2005

Can I simply uninstall these and reboot, or will I need to uninstall SQL Server, reinstall, and recover from backup?

Thanks for your time!

jim

• 1. What is the output of

SELECT

* FROM msdb.dbo.syssubsystems where subsystem = 'SSIS'

2. Cluster?

3. failed over and stopped working?

• I get 0 rows returned when I execute

SELECT * FROM msdb.dbo.syssubsystems where subsystem = 'SSIS'

The server is not part of a cluster, and the databases can be queried.

The databases seem to work fine, I only have problems with maintenance plans.Neither Visual Studio nor Business Intelligence Studio will open on the server. I'm guessing I got one of those great MS patches that has another patch for it. I can't believe MS put the SQL Server updates in with the windows updates, it's going to put a lot of DBA's in tough situations.

• I found this error message in the Event Logs:

Product: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Integration Services -- Error 29549. Failed to install and configure assemblies C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\DTS\Tasks\Microsoft.SqlServer.MSMQTask.dll in the COM+ catalog. Error: -2146233087

Error message: Unknown error 0x80131501

Error description: Unable to open COM+ 1.0 catalog to configure components.

Along with:

Product: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Tools -- Error 1704. An installation for Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Integration Services is currently suspended. You must undo the changes made by that installation to continue. Do you want to undo those changes?

And:

The description for Event ID ( 257 ) in Source ( SQLISService ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: 9.00.1406.00.

I know I need to do one of two things; uninstall the SQL Server 2005 instance, or try SQL Server 2005 SP2, but which one?

Thanks,

jim

• 1.  You need to check with the server guys, and ask whether they noticed that the patches they implemented included the SQL Server instead of windows patches.  They may have been shipped out together, but should have been identified separately (can anyone confirm/deny?).

2.  If the choice is to roll back or roll forward, the gut reaction is to roll back to last known working environment.  However, if you have not yet implemented SP2, I would argue that rolling forward to SP2 may end up resolving your issues AND keep you more current with MS, which should help to mitigate future glitches with the server guys.

Just my two cents here... no first-hand experience on this question.

Steve

• They "Didn't touch anything SQL Server", until I found the Event Log entries for installing the previously mentioned GDR 1406 hot fixes. Thus the GDR's must have been included in the Microsoft Updates, why they, the server guys, went there instead of Windows Updates I don't know, and I guess is now a mute point. I have backups from before the application of the hot fixes, so I feel that I can always go back, so I'm planning on giving SP2 and the GDR2 a chance to fix it.

Thanks for the insight Steve, I greatly appreciate it. I'll update the post to let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

jim

• Un-installed SQL Server, re-installed SQL Server, restored from backup. It's back...

Since MS is having such a time patching SQL Server 2005 and we have had 0 problems out of the initial release, I had to go back to what I know.

Thanks,

jim

• Closing thoughts:

SQL Server updates are supposed to be cumulative. Since your network guys didn't use the usual channel, they may have inadvertantly rolled back a patch, but why that wouldn't have been covered by SP2 would remain a mystery.

It also sounds like someone was lacking in awareness - either of what they were doing or the implications of what they were doing. part of why we work so hard to stay educated on this stuff is that we do more harm out of ignorance than out of wisdom.

• Windows Update identifies only Windows Patches. If they use Microsoft Update, you should see other patches i.e. Office, SQL Server (or Express), etc.

You might want to check this out.

Greg E 

• I am having the same issue after installing this update on SQL 2005 SP3(GDR 4053) .

is there any fix ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply