SSIS Package (File System-Based) Has Changed But SQL Server Agent Job Still Running Old / Cached DTSX Code Apparently?

• I periodically do some work on an SSIS pkg. or two that I designed for a client several years ago.

I've run into an issue today that I don't believe I've run into before and need some guidance.

I make all changes to the package(s) on a VM on my laptop, then take the edited DTSX file and basically copy/paste the edited DTSX file into my client's environment, overwriting the previous version of the DTSX SSIS pkg. file.  The SSIS packages are file system-based as opposed to being stored within SQL Server.

I know I've done this hundreds of times over the past several years and I've never had issues with what's seemingly the old/previous version of the SSIS DTSX pkg. file still executing, but that's exactly what's occurring today.  I have an SSIS pkg. that has functionality of creating numerous Excel spreadsheets and then loops through them one by one, and emails the spreadsheet, along with a standard PDF document that's the same for all email recipients.  I literally commented out a single line of code in the DTSX file to discontinue attaching the PDF document and to ONLY email the Excel spreadsheet.

This particular package when run today after I replaced it with the slightly-edited DTSX file, continues to attach both the Excel spreadsheet and the PDF document.  I've verified over and over that the line of code for the PDF file attachment that's just below the line of code for the Excel file attachment is commented out.  I've even completely removed that PDF attachment-related line of code and rerun the SQL Server Agent Job that calls the DTSX file and the emails continue to go out with the PDF file still attached to each email.

What am I missing here?  This should have seemingly been a 10-second fix and now I'm multiple hours into it and regardless of what I change w/the DTSX file that I've placed in my client's environment multiple times this afternoon, the PDF attachments continue being included in the emails that are being sent out.

Thanks very much for any suggestions/solutions you may have.

• brad.mccollum - Wednesday, January 3, 2018 2:09 PM

I periodically do some work on an SSIS pkg. or two that I designed for a client several years ago.

I've run into an issue today that I don't believe I've run into before and need some guidance.

I make all changes to the package(s) on a VM on my laptop, then take the edited DTSX file and basically copy/paste the edited DTSX file into my client's environment, overwriting the previous version of the DTSX SSIS pkg. file.  The SSIS packages are file system-based as opposed to being stored within SQL Server.

I know I've done this hundreds of times over the past several years and I've never had issues with what's seemingly the old/previous version of the SSIS DTSX pkg. file still executing, but that's exactly what's occurring today.  I have an SSIS pkg. that has functionality of creating numerous Excel spreadsheets and then loops through them one by one, and emails the spreadsheet, along with a standard PDF document that's the same for all email recipients.  I literally commented out a single line of code in the DTSX file to discontinue attaching the PDF document and to ONLY email the Excel spreadsheet.

This particular package when run today after I replaced it with the slightly-edited DTSX file, continues to attach both the Excel spreadsheet and the PDF document.  I've verified over and over that the line of code for the PDF file attachment that's just below the line of code for the Excel file attachment is commented out.  I've even completely removed that PDF attachment-related line of code and rerun the SQL Server Agent Job that calls the DTSX file and the emails continue to go out with the PDF file still attached to each email.

What am I missing here?  This should have seemingly been a 10-second fix and now I'm multiple hours into it and regardless of what I change w/the DTSX file that I've placed in my client's environment multiple times this afternoon, the PDF attachments continue being included in the emails that are being sent out.

Thanks very much for any suggestions/solutions you may have.

Some of what to check varies depending on what version of SSIS, SQL Server and what storage type is used for the package.
    Did you try moving the package you are editing and then try running the job? If the job runs fine then you probably need to look at the job and check all references to the package.

Sue

• Turns out SQL Server didn't like the fact that i was making a small edit to the DTSX file in Notepad++. I went back to the development environment and made my small edit in there via SSDT and moved the rebuilt DTSX file back over to the production environment and all was fine at that point.

• brad.mccollum - Friday, January 5, 2018 5:04 PM

Turns out SQL Server didn't like the fact that i was making a small edit to the DTSX file in Notepad++. I went back to the development environment and made my small edit in there via SSDT and moved the rebuilt DTSX file back over to the production environment and all was fine at that point.

That's weird - I know I've done package changes with Notepad++ before. Good to know it's not necessarily foolproof - thanks for posting back.

Sue

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply