SSIS package (built in SSDT) deployment to SQL 2008 server

• Hi all,

I am a bit of a newbie to SSIS after completing my first 'project' building an SSIS package using SSDT , I have used SSDT lots in the past for reporting solutions.

I have hit a bit of a sticking point when trying to deploy the package to our box that is running SQL server 2008; i have tried both methods of deploying; 1) deploying the package to the server and 2) creating a new Job and running the package from a network file location (file system).

The internet says that this is because a package built in SSDT isnt backwards compatible however its not 100% clear.

Can anyone offer any further advice?

What options do i have other than rebuilding the package using the predecessor to SSDT aka BIDs

Thank you.

• There is no backwards or forwards compatibility in SSIS.

If you need packages for SSIS 2008, you need to develop them in Visual Studio 2008 (aka BIDS).

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (10/6/2014)

There is no backwards or forwards compatibility in SSIS.

If you need packages for SSIS 2008, you need to develop them in Visual Studio 2008 (aka BIDS).

Thanks for the input

Clutching at straws but is it possible to deploy to 2012 whilst retaining the connection to the 2008 server tables. Essentially run it remotely from 2012 to update 2008 tables....I am essentially trying to avoid rebuilding in BIDS 🙁

• wannabe_developer (10/8/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (10/6/2014)

There is no backwards or forwards compatibility in SSIS.

Thanks for the input

Clutching at straws but is it possible to deploy to 2012 whilst retaining the connection to the 2008 server tables. Essentially run it remotely from 2012 to update 2008 tables....I am essentially trying to avoid rebuilding in BIDS 🙁

Yes, you can run the SSIS package on a 2012 server and update 2008 tables.

The package just sends T-SQL statements to the SQL Server 2008 server.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• thanks i will look into this as an option then

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply