SSIS - OLE DB Source task Error

• I am using SSIS package to read the data from Access file and import them to SQL Server table. I have total 10 tables that I need to migrate / import to SQL Server. I am using OLE DB Source & OLE DB Destination tasks for this requirement. SSIS Package is working fine and perform the required tasks.

I am using OLE DB Source task to read the data by providing following:

OLE DB Connection Manager: AccessDB Connection

Data access mode: Table or View

Name of the table or the view: tableName

Now, I need to add one more table but it may not present in all the accessdb (mdb) files. Because of table is not present, OLE DB source task throws an error but I would like to ignore that error, insert default data to SQL Server table and go ahead with other tasks.

How can I achieve this functionality in SSIS package?

Thanks

• Hardy21 (9/27/2012)

I am using SSIS package to read the data from Access file and import them to SQL Server table. I have total 10 tables that I need to migrate / import to SQL Server. I am using OLE DB Source & OLE DB Destination tasks for this requirement. SSIS Package is working fine and perform the required tasks.

Now, I need to add one more table but it may not present in all the accessdb (mdb) files. Because of table is not present, OLE DB source task throws an error but I would like to ignore that error, insert default data to SQL Server table and go ahead with other tasks.

I can suggest a way in outline, at least.

1) Create a package-scoped variable (TableExists, or similar) - make it a byte or small integer.

2) Create an ExecuteSQL task which 'points' to the Access database.

a) (I'm a SQL Server guy, so this is the bit you'll need to expand on) Write a query to return 1 if the table exists, 0 otherwise.

b) Return the results of the query to the variable created in (1).

3) After your ExecuteSQL task, create a precedence constraint to the data flow task for the table which may or may not exist.

a) Change the Evaluation operation to Expression and Constraint.

b) Set the Expression to something like

@[User::TableExists]==1

c) Create another precedence constraint from the ExecuteSQL task which skips the data flow task. Its Expression will be something like

@[User::TableExists]!=1

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin (9/27/2012)

Hardy21 (9/27/2012)

I am using SSIS package to read the data from Access file and import them to SQL Server table. I have total 10 tables that I need to migrate / import to SQL Server. I am using OLE DB Source & OLE DB Destination tasks for this requirement. SSIS Package is working fine and perform the required tasks.

I can suggest a way in outline, at least.

1) Create a package-scoped variable (TableExists, or similar) - make it a byte or small integer.

2) Create an ExecuteSQL task which 'points' to the Access database.

a) (I'm a SQL Server guy, so this is the bit you'll need to expand on) Write a query to return 1 if the table exists, 0 otherwise.

b) Return the results of the query to the variable created in (1).

3) After your ExecuteSQL task, create a precedence constraint to the data flow task for the table which may or may not exist.

a) Change the Evaluation operation to Expression and Constraint.

b) Set the Expression to something like

@[User::TableExists]==1

c) Create another precedence constraint from the ExecuteSQL task which skips the data flow task. Its Expression will be something like

@[User::TableExists]!=1

I have a query that check the table exists in Access database as below:

SELECT count(*) as TableExists

FROM MSysObjects

WHERE MSysObjects.Type=1

and Name = "tblName"

But, when I use this in SQL Task, SSIS throws an error:

"

[Execute SQL Task] Error: Executing the query "SELECT count(*) as TableExists

FROM MSysObjects

WH..." failed with the following error: "Record(s) cannot be read; no read permission on 'MSysObjects'.". Possible failure reasons: Problems with the query, "ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set correctly, or connection not established correctly.

"

I have checked result set, connection are all proper but still SSIS is throwing an error.

Any idea?

Thanks

• Is the ResultSet property of the ExecuteSQL task set to SingleRow?

Have you mapped 'TableExists' to your package variable on the Result Set property page?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Is the ResultSet property of the ExecuteSQL task set to SingleRow?

Have you mapped 'TableExists' to your package variable on the Result Set property page?

Yes Phil. It is SingleRow and result set mapped to package variable.

Result set page setting:

Result name: 0

Variable Name: User::AccessTable

Thanks

• Hardy21 (9/27/2012)

Phil Parkin (9/27/2012)

Result set page setting:

Try changing ResultName to TableExists (to match the column name in your query).

Hardy21 (9/27/2012)

Phil Parkin (9/27/2012)

Result set page setting:

Try changing ResultName to TableExists (to match the column name in your query).

Phil, Checked with that option. No luck yet.

SSIS throws same error.

I dont have Access installed in my box. Is it the issue?

Thanks

• Hmm - it seems that I have had a go at helping someone solve this issue in the past - check here.

It would seem to be a problem specifically related to permissions on system tables.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply