SSIS forum

• Hello all,

This is a pretty dead forum at the moment so I hope that someone is reading this. I am hoping to try and kickstart this forum into action. I am really excited about the innovations that Micosoft have made in SQL Server's ETL tool in 2005 and cannot wait to start implementing solutions using the software come RTM.

I had hoped that this forum would become a "meeting of SSIS minds" in the run up to RTM but sadly this isn't happening ...yet. I'm interested to know why people aren't using this forum. Is it simply because no-one has any questions to ask? Is there a belief that no-one around here will yet be able to provide valuable advice? Is no-one using SSIS?

Please post answers to this thread because I'm keen to gauge community opinion regarding this product.

I myself am writing SSIS articles for SQLServerCentral and would like to know what sort of content people are interested in. Would you like an overview of the new product or do you want to delve deeper into specific functionality?

Hoping to see some replies here soon.

I have a request to SQLServerCentral.com. Could the name of this forum be changed to "SQL Server Integration Services 2005" instead of "SQL Server Yukon DTS" because that name no longer has any meaning.

• Jamie

I don't think there will be too much activity here until the product is released in a format that is closer to it's final incarnation.

One thing I'd like to see followed up is how SSIS will go about upgrading/executing the thousands of DTS packages that already exist in SQL 2000. Three of my former clients will not be upgrading to SQL 2005 if it is excessively painful and costly to upgrade all their packages.

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• Here are my comments

=================

1. People usually look for sample codes, for most common type of requirement.  SQLDts.com has some good sample codes, does your site or discussion group plan to cover it anytime soon

2. Another thing we would love to see is Bench mark results, comparing SQL 2000 vs SSIS 2005 DTS packages (presuming the functionality of both the package is same)

3. Lately, I have been loving these FREE Databases (MySQL, ProgressSQL...), does SSIS integrate with these?

4. Debugging an DTS package has been a big pain, we would defenitely love to see some real-time DTS package that will walk thru debugging.  Please DO NOT give us a package where debugging is done from MS technolgy TO MS technology, we would love to see how SSIS integrated well with other technoliges too.

I'm pretty sure people will have more to add

paul

• Thanks Paul, some great ideas there.

Here's some short answers to some of those points:

1. The guys behind SQLDTS.com (Allan Mitchell & Darren Green) have brought out a new site, SQLIS.com, that has code snippets for SSIS. I support SQLIS.com and have already got some stuff posted up there that you can have a look at as well as the stuff that Allan and Darren have already done. Allan and Darren are working on some great stuff for SSIS and their site should definately remain the primary resource for sample code and "How To" articles.

2. Great idea. I'll look to do some of that stuff in the future if someone doesn't get in there first.

3. The best answer I guess would be "It can do". SSIS utilises OLE DB as its standard method for accessing data sources (including SQL Server) which means that if there is an OLE DB provider for MySQL, ProgressSQL etc.. SSIS will be able to handle it. I would assume that OLE DB providers DO exist...I'll check this out.

4. Again, a great idea. SSIS has greatly enhanced its debugging capabilities from what DTS had so there's definately scope here.

Hope this is useful to you in the interim and again, thanks for the suggestions Paul.

• Paul,

This link:

http://www.sqlsummit.com/oledbVen.htm

takes you to a list of OLE DB providers and the sources they support. At a glance I could see that MySQL, PostgreSQL, Progress were listed on there somewhere. There is an OLE DB Provider called MyOLEDB Provider specifically for MySQL.

This basically means that yes, SSIS can access those data sources. All you need is the OLE DB provider.

• Phill,

Project REAL has provided some real-world experience of migrating from DTS to SSIS. The message seems to be that there is no clear upgrade path, you may have to re-engineer all of those packages unfortunately. Don't forget that you can execute DTS package from within SSIS!

Read about Project REAL here http://msdn.microsoft.com/sql/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnsql90/html/SQL05InSrREAL.asp

• Paul,

Check out this link: http://sqljunkies.com/WebLog/donald%20farmer/archive/2005/02/20/7989.aspx for information on DTS2000 -v- SSIS.

SSIS blows DTS out of the water it seems.

• Jamie,

Not sure if this is what Phil was saying, but I think there is  lack of conversation (in many places on the net) regarding SQL2K5 due to a lack of people having the product to look at.  It's also not being helped by the ever-backwards moving release timeline.  I was going through emails a while ago and started laughing at my expectation that it would come out in 2003/04 (at the latest!), and I still hold fond memories of going to the tech preview in Feb 03 and thinking I would start a consulting company based on this new product offering.  I've been lucky enough to get every beta/CTP but having recently interviewed several candidates for SQL based positions, none of them had seen it, nor knew much about what it would offer.

I think that Msft is going to have to spend big$ to promote it as much of the initial hype has already been and gone.  Was it someone on this forum who pointed a reader to http://www.vapourware.com?

Lastly, to Phil on the upgrade path, I would say it depends on what level of development you/the clients got to with DTS.  If you were using it to push data through 'straight-line' pumps then it will probably upgrade OK, but if you had to do looping, custom tasks etc etc, you're re-writing - but then again, if you ventured into these you were brave anyway? 

Cheers,

Steve.

• I agree that not many people have looked at the product however I expect a great many of those have access to it without knowing it (i.e. through MSDN).

Perhaps MSFT need to do a better job of publicising this fact.

And I wouldn't worry too much about them spending alot of money marketing it - I think its a given that that is exactly what they will do.

• Jamie,

Now that sql 2005 (September) is relatively stable I am starting to look at it. I found the earlier betas painful to work with -- that is assuming I could even get them to install -- and trying to get them to work with Beta's of VS 2005 was just too time consuming.

Bill

• Hi Bill,

Yeah, that's the beauty of Virtual PC - always a good idea to install beta software on an image.

-Jamie

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply