SSIS Flat File Out -- How do I drop the final CR/LF?

• What can I do to prevent the last record in a delimited flat file from having a trailing delimiter pair (CR/LF)? Or is there a way to drop the two bytes before sending the file along?

I thought I had an easy assignment here. Use a "Select distinct" query as the source in my MS SQL db for a flat file that simply lists unique account numbers. The receiving application, however, is trying to load that list to a Netezza database (I think it's on a Unix box, but don't know), and their folks tell me that since the file ends with a CR/LF pair, their load routine thinks there should be another record. Using Notepad++ (a fine free editor, BTW), the last few records look like the first screen shot here, but I want the file to end without the CRLF as in the second image.

So, is there a way to control this behavior in SSIS? or how can i correct it?

• Maybe you could try a script task to solve this problem. After you've created the file, you could open it in .NET and go to the last line to delete the row delimiter (if possible).

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• da-zero (10/8/2010)

Maybe you could try a script task to solve this problem. After you've created the file, you could open it in .NET and go to the last line to delete the row delimiter (if possible).

Sure it's possible - I was thinking the same thing.

As long as the file isn't too big, should work fine. Might need to use something like a ByteStream to get at the unreadable characters.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin (10/8/2010)

da-zero (10/8/2010)

Maybe you could try a script task to solve this problem. After you've created the file, you could open it in .NET and go to the last line to delete the row delimiter (if possible).

Sure it's possible - I was thinking the same thing.

Great. It's been a while since I've done something in .NET, so I wasn't too sure.

• There might be a simpler solution that you miight want to try before doing the .NET stuff. Try either just CR or just LF as the row delimiter, if you can.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (10/8/2010)

There might be a simpler solution that you miight want to try before doing the .NET stuff. Try either just CR or just LF as the row delimiter, if you can.

That is actually a very good idea, as Windows operating systems use both CR and LF as row delimiters, but Unix based systems only one of both (I'm not sure which one).

• da-zero (10/9/2010)

Alvin Ramard (10/8/2010)

There might be a simpler solution that you miight want to try before doing the .NET stuff. Try either just CR or just LF as the row delimiter, if you can.

That is actually a very good idea, as Windows operating systems use both CR and LF as row delimiters, but Unix based systems only one of both (I'm not sure which one).

That's what I was thinking.

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Using just LF as a record delimiter did the trick. A quick internet search confirmed that LF was a standard on UNIX, and this is certainly simpler than doing some sort of post-creation file manipulation.

Thank you to all who helped here.

• john.arnott (10/12/2010)

Using just LF as a record delimiter did the trick. A quick internet search confirmed that LF was a standard on UNIX, and this is certainly simpler than doing some sort of post-creation file manipulation.

Thank you to all who helped here.

WOOHOO!!! That's good to know.

You're welcome.

Alvin Ramard

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply