SSIS 2008, need help formatting the destination flat file in a certain way

• I am doing a typical Query --> Flat File in my SSIS package.

However I cannot output the file in the right format ( the format that is shown on top of page 1 of the attachment to this post).

THe file that I am getting is also shown in the attachment.

Is it possible at all to achieve the desired format in SSIS ?

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP.

Likes to play Chess

• VoldemarG (2/23/2016)

I am doing a typical Query --> Flat File in my SSIS package.

However I cannot output the file in the right format ( the format that is shown on top of page 1 of the attachment to this post).

THe file that I am getting is also shown in the attachment.

Is it possible at all to achieve the desired format in SSIS ?

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP.

Should be (except for the underlining of the column names). Can you show us some of the column definitions too?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• curious....the output you've shown doesn't look like fixed width (rather comma delimited)....are you sure you're looking at the right output file?

• Whatever I do, the columns in text file do not come out justified and separated by equal space, with column name precisely on top of column data (which doesn't happen whatever I try.... ).

ATTACHED is both the QUERY (that feeds the text file), and the TABLE (columns) DEFINITIONS as you requested.

Thank you so much !

Likes to play Chess

• that's exactly right. I do not want comma delimited.

but the output (DESIRED one) that you see on the top of the first page of the attachment is correct, there are no commas, and everything is neatly justified...

you may have looked at the end of my attached PDF (where indeed the output is comma-delimited, which I do not want, but I need the output that is at the BEGINNING the very first screen shot) of the attached pdf.

Likes to play Chess

• yes. attached. sql works fine. it s a challenge how to format the flat file right..

Likes to play Chess

• VoldemarG (2/23/2016)

that's exactly right. I do not want comma delimited.

but the output (DESIRED one) that you see on the top of the first page of the attachment is correct, there are no commas, and everything is neatly justified...

you may have looked at the end of my attached PDF (where indeed the output is comma-delimited, which I do not want, but I need the output that is at the BEGINNING the very first screen shot) of the attached pdf.

No, I did understand your attachment...(which was very clear)....I was just wondering if maybe the file created by the package in output was perhaps not the file you were looking at. I guess you've tried deleting the file and ensuring it gets recreated? (I know this sounds silly, but generally when I'm up against a mysterious problem, the answer is that I was doing something very stupid.)

Alternatively I suggest you return to first principles....start with an empty package and create a most basic fixed width file (maybe try "ragged right"). I'm afraid I don't have SQL / SSIS installed on my current computer (I'm working with Oracle here :w00t:) so I can't be more specific, but perhaps you can refer to a basic tutorial such as this one.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply