SSC has more than 400,000 registered users

• Just noticed that the registered users on SSC reaches 400,017. Wow, that's worth some real congrats.

• Yes indeed - I kept meaning to keep an eye out for when it hits this mark and completely missed it...

fanfare, trumpets et al...ta da...CONGRATULATIONS Y'ALL!!!!!

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• Thanks

Announcement coming tomorrow on this.

• The sad thing is, in the short few weeks since its purchase by Red-Gate, SSC is already starting its decline.  I noticed the Script-O-the-Day contributor for 1/26 withdrew his/her script for fear of copyright infringement.

I suspect you'll see these numbers start to decline soon.

Take care,

Bert

"Speculations? I know nothing about speculations. I'm resting on certainties. I know that my Redeemer lives, and because He lives, I shall live also." - Michael Faraday

• Bert,

I'd disagree immensely with your post. No scripts have been withdrawn. Someone asked a question and it was answered.

• Show me where I can get the source for the Script-O-the-Day dated 1/26/2007 on SQL Server Central?

Take care,

Bert

"Speculations? I know nothing about speculations. I'm resting on certainties. I know that my Redeemer lives, and because He lives, I shall live also." - Michael Faraday

• My apologies then. The owner deleted his script, and since it was submitted anonymously, I cannot contact him or her.

For all I know it was you that deleted it and posted this.

I run the site and I have not been requested to remove anything, nor has anyone requested a removal. Red Gate has not claimed copyright on anything that is submitted. The terms of use, updated by Red Gate to reflect UK privacy issues, still has this listed:

"A User shall retain the ownership of any intellectual property rights in information or content submitted to the Site."

From http://www.sqlservercentral.com/other/terms.asp.

If a user does not understand that, they can ask, but we cannot control someone removing a script. For all I know they never submitted anything other than that line and I didn't notice it.

• My point is this:

Regardless of policies, misunderstandings, anonymity, or accusations, the RedGate buyout has had an affect, albeit small at this point. 

I have found SSC invaluable in my job and simply hope that this is not a sign of things to come...

P.S.  I did not post this script and then remove it anonymously.  I gladly take credit where credit is due and take my lumps when deserved.

Take care,

Bert

• Wow!  Kinda harsh...   

I am in my busy season, but I still take time to visit this site as often as possible - it keeps me on my toes. 

The only real change I have noticed is a change in format to the emails I get.  But that has not dimished it, in my humble opinion.   

( Removing a post is a personal decision - that coming from one who has taken numerous, (many deserved) lumps...&nbsp  

I wasn't born stupid - I had to study.

• Harsh?  I sure hope you never had to go through boot camp...

A simple statement of fact: Pre-RedGate, I never noticed anyone retracting posts.  Post-RedGate...ONE.  I just hope this isn't a trend.  If I'm going to have to defend this point of view, it isn't worth it.  I'll just keep my opinions to myself in the future.

Take care,

Bert

• Bert,

Please don't keep your opinions to yourself. I appreciate the critique. I just felt the need to defend myself a little.

We've had some posts pulled back over the years, but it's fairly rare. I've also had a few people pull articles. Not sure about scripts.

The sale has definitely affected some people's attitudes, but I'd like to think we haven't changed the site much.

• Looks like we've got another one:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/scripts/viewscript.asp?scriptid=1243

May want to nip this in the bud before it gets out of hand.

Take care,

Bert

• The script was posted on 2004.  It seemed that the author deleted the post because he did not want Redgate take it.

• I read the copyright rule of this website and it is still the same.

Unlike some publishers, SQL Server Central does not ask for copyright to your work.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply