SSAS opinion needed

• Hi everyone

I am looking at creating an online reporting platform, but just want some input to see if cubes etc are going to be overkill.

below follows a very basic idea of how it will work, and would like to know if such a setup grants the use of SSAS Cubes, or

should I just use SSRS and ASP.Net to create a online platform.

basic table structure

salesdata

soldYear

soldWeek

itemno

soldqty

soldvalue

productdata

itemno

productcountry

productcategory

Most common reports:

Top 100 for current Year + Week

Top 100 for current Year + Week per Country, Category etc

Top n for whole Year, Year on Year comparisons etc plus other breakdowns

So would you use Cubes to achieve something similair to the above, or just create the platform in ASP.net and

run the queries as needed?

• Dear,

If you want to provide a few fixed reports that don't require many updates or will not evolve over time, you may not need a cube.

However, many users will likely ask more and more related reports, in different visualisations.

Report maintenance will become hard to maintain and time consuming.

That is where a cube can be handy : to fulfil ad hoc reporting needs on large quantities of data.

Your type of data is excellent for setting up in a data warehouse with a cube on top of that.

Of course, when you decide to go for a cube, you will need the proper tools to access and display the data.

And there is an initial learning curve involved as well.

FL.

Franky L.

• Using SSRS with Report Builder gives you much flexibility

• Thanks Scott

But is it easy to access the reports created with SSRS via a .Net website?

My guess is it would be? Starting this project on Monday.

• Yes it is... SSRS creates a Report Server / Report Manger sites for you.

• ok, so I have setup my first SSRS project with one report. I have deployed this and can access it via a URL to my reporting server (Report Manager) This works 100%

I would now want to transfer/access this report via a seperate ASP.Net website I have created.

The idea is to have a website for external clients where they can log in and view reports, sending it parameters etc.

But when I try and add the .rdl file to the existing website, it seems that I can't. But there is another report option that creates a .rdlc file. But in this case I have to basically recreate the report.

Is this the way to do it? In my eyes I'm seeing it as two fold:

.rdl -> design in BIDS and publish to a server that everyone in the office can access and view reports -> SSRS

.rdlc -> use this option when I want to publish reports to a website for clients from outside the office, so they have the functionality of the website + reports even though the reports seem to be running seperate from SSRS?

• Did you look at the below link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms153586(v=sql.105).aspx

SSRS reports can be called from a ASP.net application.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply