SSAS Dimension Wizard - name column list missing

• I tried to carry out out the instructions in the paragraph entitled "Defining the Internet Sales Orders Fact Dimension" in the  Adventure Works Multidimensional Modeling Tutorial.

1. In Solution Explorer, right-click Dimensions, and then click New Dimension.
    2. On the Welcome to the Dimension Wizard page, click Next.
    3. On the Select Creation Method page, verify that the Use an existing table option is selected, and then click Next.
    4. On the Specify Source Information page, verify that the Adventure Works DW 2012 data source view is selected.
    5. In the Main table list, select InternetSales.
    6. In the Key columns list, verify that SalesOrderNumber and SalesOrderLineNumber are listed.
    7. In the Name column list, select SalesOrderLineNumber.

The problem is that there is no Name column list. Instead there is a message saying:

A name column must be specified when a composite key is used. If not already present, it is recommended to create a named calculation in the Data Source View that concatenates the specified key columns.
  • Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• I was not able to carry out the instructions as written. There was no way to specify a Name column. I created the named calculation as suggested but it took me a while to realise that I could remove the 2 columns that were automatically selected by selecting BLANK from the list so that I could select the named calculation as the key. I was able to create the dimension.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply