SSAS Beginners guide

• Hey folks, at my office we're finally looking to begin to do some analysis that will require us to setup a small scale DW in SSAS and for me to populate a number of facts/dimension tables etc.

As I have no functional experience with this type of design/deployment, can anyone point me towards some decent beginner's books/best practice sites so that I can dig into a bit of this?

Tia,

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Luke, I'm working through the Microsoft Press book entitled SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services Step By Step (0735621993). I'm pleased with the way it explains not only the "how" but the "why". Lots of examples and sample code are included.

hth,

Tim

Tim Mitchell, Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Data Warehouse and ETL Consultant
    TimMitchell.net | @Tim_Mitchell | Tyleris.com
    ETL Best Practices

• Thanks for the recommendation. That was one of the ones I was looking at, however it had gotten a number of not so good reviews from a technical standpoint as it seemed a number of readers had issues installing the db that all of the samples were based on. Any gotcha's with that, or are we just chalking that up to user error?

Thanks.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• I got all three SBS books (for SSIS, SSAS as well as SSRS), and I am very happy with them. Before I had no clue, and now I have some clue 😀

Very skilled people will probably have tons of things to say about those, because there are more ways than one to skin a cat. You have to start somewhere though, and these books do a very good job getting you started in my opinion. If anything, they will get you to a place where you are comfortable moving around the tools.

I also recommend 'The Microsoft Data Warehouse Toolkit' by Mundy, Thornthwaite and Kimball. That is basically Kimball's methodology applied directly to the SQL Server tools. Very insightfull stuff.

• Thanks for the recommendation.

-Luke.

• hi,what exactly the sbs books means ,could u plz give me the links where i can download those.

Thank You ,

anitha

• anithareddy.k (8/3/2010)

hi,what exactly the sbs books means ,could u plz give me the links where i can download those.

Thank You ,

anitha

Anitha,

SBS= SQL Server Business Intelligence Studio.

Raunak J

• anithareddy.k (8/3/2010)

hi,what exactly the sbs books means ,could u plz give me the links where i can download those.

SBS = Step By Step. I don't download books, I buy them in the bookstore or order them online. Go to amazon.com and search for "SQL Server step by step", they all show up there.

• Thank You Very Much,Will try to get them.

Thanks,

anitha

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply