SS2005 32-bit on Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit???

• I am very confused about 32- vs 63- installations. We current are running SS2005 32-bit in Prod/Dev environments. These servers will be migrated to virtual servers running Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit. I've installed SS2005 32-bit plus SP4 & a security update (Final product version: 9.00.5057.00). In researching, Visual Studio 2005 is not compatible with WS 2008 R2 and needs SP1 + SP1 Update. Would I apply the 32-bit version of these even though it's running on a 64-bit system?

Thanks for any help that you might provide.

• If you're moving to 64-bit servers you should probably use 64-bit SQL Server unless there is some compelling reason not to.

• Chuck Hottle (5/9/2012)

If you're moving to 64-bit servers you should probably use 64-bit SQL Server unless there is some compelling reason not to.

+1

Re: Visual Studio 2005/2008/2010 are all 32-bit programs, i.e. there are no 64-bit versions. They will happily run on a 64-bit operating system, with the proper patching as you noticed. Your question leads me to my own question: why are you installing Visual Studio on a server?

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• opc.three (5/10/2012)

Chuck Hottle (5/9/2012)

If you're moving to 64-bit servers you should probably use 64-bit SQL Server unless there is some compelling reason not to.

+1

Re: Visual Studio 2005/2008/2010 are all 32-bit programs, i.e. there are no 64-bit versions. They will happily run on a 64-bit operating system, with the proper patching as you noticed. Your question leads me to my own question: why are you installing Visual Studio on a server?

Chuck - Per management, our sole goal is to move the existing 32-bit SQL Server to a virtual machine. Plans to upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit are in the future, but mgmt wants to take one step at a time.

OPC - VS was just part of the SQL Server package. I kept getting compatibility issues when I installed SP4 and SP4's security update, so I thought it was an issue.

Thank you, both, for your input.

• If you are moving from 2008 to 2008 on a 32-bit to 64-bit server I have to say that unless you use custom SQLCLR, sp_OA, or extended stored procedures (which most don't) you are unlikely to have a problem with 32/64 for the databases.

I've done a LOT of these kinds of moves and the majority of the problems have centered around what I would call external code. Those that didn't use any of those that I mentioned above were a breeze.

YMMV..

CEWII

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply