SQLSERVR.exe *32 Peak Mem Usage > 3GB (!?)

• Was perusing Task Manager on my XP x64 box, and noticed this anomaly. What would explain the Peak Mem Usage being 3,739,760K for sqlservr.exe *32? I have multiple instances running, some 32 bit and some 64, none of the 32 bit instances are set with any non-default memory switches. This isn't critical, I'm just curious.

By the way I also have an Oracle 64 bit instance running, plus the usual desktop apps. Currently commit charge is about 14GB of total 16GB physical memory, peak was about 22GB.

Have Fun!
    Ronzo

• Don't refer to Task Manager for memory usage...it lies, especially for 32-bit processes where the machine has more than 4GB of RAM.

Use Performance Monitor or the SQL Server DMOs.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• I believe that a 32-bit process running on a 64-bit OS actually has access to a full 4Gb of virtual address space, because there aren't any hardware or drivers taking chunks of the address space away as they would on a 32-bit OS. So, even if you ignore the fact that Task Manager isn't very reliable, it's certainly not impossible for your 32-bit SQL server process to actually be using that amount of RAM. (Note that a 32-bit app not marked as Large Address Aware would still only use a maximum of 2Gb of RAM in this situation).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply