SQLSERVERAGENT service on Local Computer started and then stopped

• Almost Identical scenario - Solution was to make sure the account being used by SQL Agent Service is a member of the SQL Server SysAdmin group. SQL Server service works fine - even though the account is not a member of teh SysAdmin group.

Background Info about Environment:

We recently created a new domain account that would be used to run SQL Server and SQL Agent services for a specific instance in a multi-instance, multi-CPU consolidated server(SQL2005 SP2). I added the domain account to the Local Admins group and opened up services.msc and modified teh logon account information. SQL Server service runs fine - but SQL Agent service would NOT startup.

Hope this helps somebody(or me the next time I make the same mistake)

Sudha

• We had same issue on a sql 2008 Sp1 box.

The Analysis Service was pointing to folder "d:\program files\microsoft sql server\msas10.mssqlserver\olap\config" for the msmdsrv.ini file. However the config folder was at location D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\OLAP\Config, copying back to the original location fixed the issue.

Binu

• Dear check that whether you are running your instance in single user mode

• The above posts gave me a clue with the same issue that I had with SQL server 2008. Sometimes, as in my case, when the SQL install creates the accounts for starting the SQL services it fails to add the accounts into the local administrators group on the server. When I checked, the auto-created accounts weren't part of *any* group. I added them to the local administrators group. The next time I tried to start the agent, it ran with no problem.

• Anything You Are Able To Find In The Error Logs?

NEVER NEVER EVER GIVE UP;-)

• I have the MSSQL SERVER 2000 installed by 'Administrator' user and is managed by the same user. I tried changing the properties in services.msc from 'Local system' to 'hostname\Administrator'. but still did not work.

Whenever I try to start the MSSQLSERVER service, error.log is updated with the following entry:

"2011-06-03 13:08:37.19 server SQL Server evaluation period has expired."

Is this the genuine cause for the MSSQLSERVER service not getting started??

• Sir,

I have installed SQL Express 2008 R2 on windows 7 machine. and i'm facing the problem " The Sql Server Analysis Service (MSSQLSERVER) service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service"

I'm unable to start the SQL Server Agent service. Kindly help me please.

Thanks.

• If anybody not solved this issue. i solved this in MSSQL2008R2 by changing the Logon user from Network Services to "LocalSystem" then worked.

• Ensure that the account running the SQL Agent Service is granted logon as a service rights. To ensure this is done properly check it then go into services and under properties of the service account look at the login info, retype the password, and hit ok. If you see the message Logon as a Service Rights have been granted, attempt to restart the service. Other things i have found to be causing this by looking in the SQLAgetn.out log file is that the service is reporting it cant view the status of the eventlog service. Hence not being able to log, so it shuts down immediatly to remedy this i have gone into my gpo for the server and granted the Service account the following permissions on the following services.

Windows Eventlog FC

Distributed Transaction Coordinator FC

Remote Procedure Call(RPC) Locator FC

Remote Procedure Call (RPC) FC

FC(Full Controll)

Also check the following User Rights assignments:

Act as part of OS

Adjust Memory Quotas

Bypass Traverse Checking

Logon as a batch job

Logon as Service

Replace Process Level Token

Adding that service account to those URAs should help start it back up

• This fixed my issue too - many thanks!

• Thanks Nazar, It's working by setting up admin user for SQL Agent

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply