SQLServer2016 SP2 CU12 installation failed

• HI,

SQL Serve2016 SP2 CU12 installation failed.

Does  the sqlserver database woks fine until fix the issues and reinstall CU12 ?

Thanks.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by  adisql.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by  adisql.
  • Hi,

Installed the same CU12 in other servers(sqlserver2016 sp2 standard) without any issue.

But its failing on the server sqlserver2016 sp2 Enterprise edition.

Not understanding the exact cause. Any suggestions here .

Please find attached logs.

Thank you.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • can you post the summary log

do you have Always On Availability Groups configured with SSISDB as part of one of the groups?

• we don't have Always On Availability Groups configured .

PFA the summary log.

Attachments:
  • Well looking at the summary log, the shared features don't seem to have been updated past the RTM version so whoever did the initial patch to SP2 seems to have unselected "Shared Features" at install time.

I would re-path with SP2 and patch the shared features, then apply the CU

• Thank you. I will re-path with SP2 only for  shared features, then apply the CU.

• Just realized that ,actually we did't install the SP2 separately.

Installed sqlserver2016 enterprise  and sp2 together with same installer file.

Can we still run the SP2 patch and select shared features ?

• You sure it was 2016wSP2 in the media that installed it, the summary file shows the shared features are at a lower level than SP2.

Run the SP2 installer when you get to the "select features" part if should show if the shared features need updating or not.

• yes it is sql2016 sp2.

select @@version

Microsoft SQL Server 2016 (SP2) (KB4052908) - 13.0.5026.0 (X64) Mar 18 2018 09:11:49 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition: Core-based Licensing (64-bit) on Windows Server 2016 Standard 10.0 <X64> (Build 14393: ) (Hypervisor)

Thank you.

• you cant get the versions of the shared features that way

run the SP2 installer or the CU installer and screen shot the part where you select the features to patch for both "MSSQLSERVER" and "Shared Features", it will show you the version of each component in the right hand side.

Looking at your summary file the shared features are to low to a version have the CU applied

• when i run the SP2 , it shows that MSQLSERVER section is "incompletely installed" and shared features section shows "installed".

PFA the screenshots.

shall i run the sp2 for MSQLSERVER selection?

Attachments:
  • FYI, your instance is not clustered. That's why I like cluster, if it fails when patching the first node, it does not impact the current workload; if it fails when patching the second node, the current workload can still be serviced by the first patched node. The downtime is the failover plus executing the upgrade script, usually less than 2 - 3 minutes.

• I am confused whether  SP2 has installed or not.

Do i need to install SP2 for MSSQLSERVER selection and followed by  CU12 installation?

• I would be cautious in this, if something has borked the installed on the engine, then installing SP2 may resolve it.  Don't 100% expect it to work though.

If it didn't work last time it probably wont work now.

I would build a new server, install the SP and CU and bring it all up to date and then migrate the DB's onto it and bingo your done.

If SP2 fails you may need to get in touch with Microsoft Support and get your credit card handy if you don't have SA rights and support case rights on your agreements, usually around $500 a support case they charge.

• will sqlserver service\database work if i try to install SP2 and if it fails for some reason.?

Thank you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply