SQLServer Newbie

• I have only been using SQLServer (2000) for a short while and thought I was having a DTS problem where I was trying to transform from Excel to SQL and the data was being truncated at 255 chars. I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out the issue and I decided to just try an insert in a test table with data in excess of 255 chars The (the datatype is set to ntext in the test table). well, after I execute the insert and view the table in text format, the data is only visible through the first 255 characters. Here is my question, is all the data in the record but the query analyzer only shows you the first 255 characters, or is there something wrong with my server where every insert or DTS transformation I do the data is truncated at 255? Thanks In advance for your responses.

Scott Farran

• You are using Query Analyzer to view the contents of the table (in text format)

Well, open your Query Analyzer, go to "Tools > Option" menu.

Go to the "Results" tab of the Option dialog and check the "Maximum characters per column" value.

Hope this helps you

IF U DON'T SEEK PERFECTION, U CAN NEVER REACH EXCELLENCE!!!

SD

Regards,
    Sachin Dedhia

• When you get to the point in your Import where you select the sheets to import to SQL "Select Source Tables and VIews" in the grid slide over to the Transform column and press the button, then for column 8 change datatype and size to something that should hold it. I believe if I remember correctly that it is defaulted to nvarchar 255 which may not allow for enough room for your data. Try and let me know. The same goes for exports I think. The key is check what the mapping does.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Thanks SD - I knew it was something simple!!

Scott

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply