SQLMail Problem (maybe)...

• Has anyone else seen this scenario (I've searched older threads but do not see anything similar):

Server:

Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP3

SQL Server 2000 SP3

Outlook 2000 SP1

Exchange 2003 SP1

MSSQLServer and SQLSERVERAGENT run as a domain account (DOMAIN\dbagent). That account is a local administrator on every box that SQL Server 2000 is installed on. The Outlook profile was created on each box using the same account; and was previously working fine (when the mailbox was on Exchange 2000). After migrating the Exchange Server to 2003, we started having problems with xp_sendmail returning errors (that mapped to MAPI_E_LOGON_FAILED in the MAPI error table). When I logged into a server to see what the problem was, I found that I could no longer open Outlook using that profile (error: "Unable to open your default mail folders..."). The mailbox is accessible from any other system EXCEPT SQL Servers. Even using the domain account, other servers can see the mail profile fine; just not SQL Servers. We've even deleted and recreated the mailbox, then recreated the profile on each server; this worked only momentarily, but are now having problems.

I believe this to be an Exchange/Outlook issue, but our NT Admins are concerned that on the SQL Servers seem to have the issue...Any thoughts from anyone here would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!!

Joshua Jones

Database Administrator

Premiere Conferencing

Joshua Jones
    Director, Global Database Services
    PGi

• It's possible that the Mapi.DLL could be corrupt! Don't take my word for it, I'm just going throught he elimination process in my mind and scene as though you have recreated the mailbox and profile, I have come to the DLL scenario! See if you can ask your NT Admins if they can find out more about the Mapi.DLL.

I think it's called Mapi.DLL or Mapi32.DLL, do a search on it on the c:\

Kindest Regards,

• I encountered the similar type of problems a couple of days back. The error was like unable to open EMSMDB.DLL . After investigation we came to know that the MS Outlook installation is corrupt. LTS guys has repaired the MS Outlook and everything was working fine.

• Thanks for the replies. To answer:

I think the DLL theory is probably sound, if it weren't happening on more than one server (I forgot to include that in the original post). It is happening on at least 5 production servers at this time.

As far as Reinstalling Outlook, we have not tried that; we did try to upgrade to Outlook 2002 on one box; that didn't resolve the problem. We will probably try reinstalling on at least one box to see if that resolves the issue.

Any other ideas?? Thanks again!!!

Joshua Jones
    PGi

• Exchange 2003 doesn't even support MAPI unless you specifically enable it does it??????

Derrick Leggett
    Mean Old DBA
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

• Derrick,

Joshua Jones
    PGi

• Doesn't look like my last post went through...Derrick, you might have something there. I'll be checking with our Exchange Admin on that. Although, our Dev servers use the same config as our prod machines (albeit with a different domain account), and they seem OK. Thanks!!!!!! Josh

Joshua Jones
    PGi

• We had similar problems on a number of SQL Servers after upgrading from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003.

I found that the problem self-corrected after restarting Sql Server.

A restart of the Sql Server seems to be needed after configuration changes involving Exchange. (If its only Agent mail you may only need to restart the agent).

• Thanks Renato. We've rebooted these servers multiple times, to no avail. THanks Everyone; after talking to MS, looks like we may be trying a new domain account, to see if the problem is specific to that account.

--Josh

Joshua Jones
    PGi

• Josh,

I have come across the same problem that you are describing. Have you found a way to resolve it?

Thanks,

John

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply