SQL7 to SQL2000 Restore DB from File - Logins?

• First of all, please know that Iā€™m a developer.

Here is what I need to do. I need to backup a SQL 7 DB to file, take the server off the network, then restore the DB to a new SQL 2000 server with the same name.

Problem A --> My big issue has to do with the logins. I have done some research about transfering logins between servers but (per the current upgrade plan) I will not have both servers on the network at the same time (They want the new SQL 2K to have the same name as the current SQL7). Is there a way to save the logins to file then sync the logins using sp_change_users_login? OR Can I restore the SQL 7.0 master DB to the new 2000 server?

Problem B --> Here is my second set of problems that I think I know the answer too but just want to double check. 1 - I will need to use some SQL 2000 functionality in the future so I need the DB to be converted. 2 ā€“ The file system structure of the two machine will be different. 3 ā€“ I will need to rename the DBs.

I believe I can do this all in the restore gui but just want to make sure.

Thanks, Ben

• I havent tried restoring a 7.0 master to 2000. Might work, worth trying. We have several articles and posts here on the site about moving logins.

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply