SQL2019 x Processor

• Folks, I'm with SQL 2019 Enterprise, running on a VM on Sphere 6.5 on a server with 2 processor with 24 core, it runs alone on the physical machine. We are having a performance problem regarding the processor, we noticed that the offender is SQL, because it does not use all the processing power that Windows released, being limited to 50%, something is limiting ..... We run stress software out of SQL and it scaled the processor to use 100% of the Windows processor. Can anyone give a tip?

• My guess - your queries don't need to use all of the cores OR your SQL isn't configured to use all of the cores when going parallel... which is best practice anyways if I remember right.

If a query doesn't go parallel, it will use 1 core.  If a query goes parallel it will use multiple cores.   If you have a stored procedure that always goes parallel and it uses 2 cores out of your 24 and you have 12 people run it, all 24 cores will be used (presuming there is no blocking on the resources).

Chances are it is not being limited, it just doesn't need the cores at that time.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply