SQL2008 failover service up in Cluster Admin but down in SQL configuration manager

• Hello folks,

I know we do not suppose to use Windows services applet to manage a SQL 2008 failover cluster but go this weird behaviour. I just recently installed a SQL 2008 failover instance at work and after shutdown the service via Configuration Manager, SQL server never went up again. But hold on! This is the best part 🙂 ... I went to Cluster admin and I put the SQL service up there, it works. I can even connect via Management studio.

But question is, why the SQL service and SQL agent are still down on Configuration Manager but up and running inside the Windows Cluster Administrator? They suppose to be in sync...

Any comments / ideas

Thanks in advance,

• What node is currently hosting SQL Server and is that the same node you are looking at in Configuration Manager?

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• I'll answer myself 😉 ...

I was checking Configuration Manager on the other node, the one who does NOT own the package. When I moved to the other node, I can see that SQL service and agent are up and running there and of course, on Cluster Manager as well....

• Hi Jef

You are right, I think I answered myself seconds ago, I was checking on the node that does not own the resources.

Just one more question...I was trying to validate Cluster behavior doing fail overs between nodes. I am not able to fail-over to the other node and keep it there, let's say from Node 1 to Node 2. It switched back to the original one, Node 1, after some seconds...

• Check the properties for the cluster group - verify whether or not you have turned on 'Allow Failback'.

We always disable this feature and 'Prevent Failback' on our clusters.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

• ---jocampo

Have you installed the SQL instance on both nodes? You must install each instance you intend to run on every node. If you look on the drive you installed the local parts of SQL on D: for example do you see a directory like d:\program files\microsoft sql server\MSSQL10.InstanceName ??? You must have one of these on all of your nodes.

db

• xxdbxx (10/12/2009)

---jocampo

Have you installed the SQL instance on both nodes? You must install each instance you intend to run on every node. If you look on the drive you installed the local parts of SQL on D: for example do you see a directory like d:\program files\microsoft sql server\MSSQL10.InstanceName ??? You must have one of these on all of your nodes.

db

When you install SQL Server in a cluster, the installation will install the binaries on every node in the cluster for you. The only thing you have to do on each node is install non cluster aware components (e.g. Reporting Services, Integration Services, etc...).

The database engine installation is cluster aware and installs everything you need to run SQL Server on every node in the cluster.

Jeffrey Williams

― Charles R. Swindoll

• In SQL 2008 that is not accurate. You CAN do the one install process where you "prep" each node and then run the final process to enable them all.

What I believe most will be doing is during the initial install of the sql instance it will be installed on the node they are using. But then you must run "add instance to node" on every other node in the cluster to get the binaries there. I have a 6 node cluster with 6 instances, believe me I have spent much time with this. What I did to save myself enormous amounts of time though was to switch to config files and run all of the installs except the initial one from the command line.

db

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply