SQL2000 Logs not truncating

• I recently upgraded my databases from SQL7 to SQL2000. Since the upgrade the transaction logs are no longer being truncated with a full db backup (with the option checked to remove inactive t-log entries). Is this by design in SQL2000? The only way I seem to be able to get the logs to truncate automatically is to do a transaction log backup, which I do not really need since I will have just performed a full db backup (our backup strategy is a full db backup each nite, no t-log backups through the day). Any ideas?

Thanks.

• You can use

BACKUP LOG [dbname] WITH TRUNCATE_ONLY

thou i would reccomend to backup the log too, in case you need to restore your data in the middle of the day.

quote:

I recently upgraded my databases from SQL7 to SQL2000. Since the upgrade the transaction logs are no longer being truncated with a full db backup (with the option checked to remove inactive t-log entries). Is this by design in SQL2000? The only way I seem to be able to get the logs to truncate automatically is to do a transaction log backup, which I do not really need since I will have just performed a full db backup (our backup strategy is a full db backup each nite, no t-log backups through the day). Any ideas?

Thanks.

• Also for this situation make sure you have the database recovery model set to Simple.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply