SQL timing out

• Has anyone come across this error msg? I receive it at least 4 times a day.

"Error connecting to EnterpriseMessage Table to process next message.

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers--2147467259-[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired"

• I haven't seen the 'EnterpriseMessage Table' part before. Timeouts are pretty common, usually means you need to look at your indexing strategy.

Andy

• Hi Lou did you resolve the Timeout expired problem??, I have the same problem that you have on two stored proceudres that I call from VB.

Can any body help me??

Thanks a lot for your time and help 😀

ISC. Ana Laura Mojica

Ana

• The timeout through VB could be controlled by the application. If you are using ADO there is a CommandTimeout property. This indicates how long to wait (in seconds) while executing a command before terminating the attempt and generating an error.

It starts when the database has accepted the command and ends when the first record is returned.

If the server, or network, is busy (or ignoring you) this setting will not help you.

Increasing the timeout (the default is 30 seconds) may or may not solve your problems. The causes that prevent completion of your request may be numerous, but the most obvious is locking.

You might really have a locking problem instead of a timeout problem.

quote:

Hi Lou did you resolve the Timeout expired problem??, I have the same problem that you have on two stored proceudres that I call from VB.

Can any body help me??

Thanks a lot for your time and help 😀

ISC. Ana Laura Mojica

Patrick Birch

Quand on parle du loup, on en voit la queue

• Hi Patrick, I try increasing the Timeout, but as you say it sometimes works and some not. So do I have to lock the table??

Thanks for your time and help 😀

Have a great day

Ana

Ana

• How long is your timeout. There are somethings that you cannot help. Perhaps you need to tune the server or query to run faster.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• At the beginning was 0 because the person that made that part said that 0 is infinitive tries. Then I modify it to 999999999 (:-D, I really desperate)

What do you mean with "Perhaps you need to tune the server or query to run faster." How do I do it?, I am a begginner on this.

Other thing, they told me that I could run the sp from the system, they gave me this example, but I don´t have information about how can I use it:

/*****

system("osql -U adw_user -P bohemia -H mtynti21 -S mtynti21 -d Integra_FPP -Q spCopyBorradoADW -o e:/users/log/store_procedure_spCopyBorradoADW.log");

******/

I supponsed that U (user) P (password)

Q (query in my case the name of the sp)

S (server) H (Host) d (Database)

0 (optional, can I ignore this one?)

I try to run this on the QA but I got a message Incorrect syntax, I don´t know how to use it.

Can you help me PLEASE 😀

Thanks a lot

Ana

Ana

• 0 in ADO disables the timeout; there is no infinite tries. RDO had a retry property that doesn't exist in ADO.

You should run that script in a console window, not QA. Then it should run ok.

quote:

At the beginning was 0 because the person that made that part said that 0 is infinitive tries. Then I modify it to 999999999 (:-D, I really desperate)

What do you mean with "Perhaps you need to tune the server or query to run faster." How do I do it?, I am a begginner on this.

Other thing, they told me that I could run the sp from the system, they gave me this example, but I don´t have information about how can I use it:

/*****

system("osql -U adw_user -P bohemia -H mtynti21 -S mtynti21 -d Integra_FPP -Q spCopyBorradoADW -o e:/users/log/store_procedure_spCopyBorradoADW.log");

******/

I supponsed that U (user) P (password)

Q (query in my case the name of the sp)

S (server) H (Host) d (Database)

0 (optional, can I ignore this one?)

I try to run this on the QA but I got a message Incorrect syntax, I don´t know how to use it.

Can you help me PLEASE 😀

Thanks a lot

Ana

Patrick Birch

• Sorry if I ask but how do I do this "You should run that script in a console window, not QA. "

Thanks 😀

Ana

Ana

• No problem. Open a DOS command prompt, in Windows it's under START:PROGRAMS:ACCESSORIES. That will give you a black box with nothing in it but

C:

That's a console window.

You might be lucky and cut and paste your script into it, but you will probably have to type the script again. Hit enter and the script will run.

Another option is to save the script as a BAT file. Then START:RUN and type in the path (or browse) to your BAT file and run that.

Patrick Birch

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply