SQL server stopped genarating error log

• Hi ,

SQL server has stopped generating error log from this morning.

All backups are running fine and users are able to access the server.

Could you please advice what to look out for in this scenario?

Thanks in advance

• Heya,

Heres a few suggestions:

1. What have you done to test?

2. Do you have plenty of space on your App drive (generally c: if not changed at install or registry)?

3. Have you tried to trigger a log entry (ie a backup or cancelling a backup).

4. You can try executing 'Exec Sp_Cycle_Errorlog' to cycle the log (this should trigger a new log and kickstart the logger.

Please let me know if any of these help.

Adam.

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

• Sqlsavy (12/7/2010)

SQL server has stopped generating error log from this morning.

Why do you say that? What log entries are you expecting that aren't there? How are you checking the error log?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I am looking for log at Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.n\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG

no entries for the whole day the last entry I could see was yesterday morning at 7.05 am but log backup on that server runs every 15 minutes.

I tried sp_cycle_errorlog to cycle the errorlog but it was running for 30 minutes without any output and users are experiencing performance issue every now and then.Checked all the performance counters I didn't see any issues at all so just wondering is it because of this errorlog issue?

• Being "Captain Obvious" here.... it's an error log. Open the log file viewer and check if there is an active filter. Also by default the Error log open by default to the SQL Server Agent Log and there may no errors listed, this is a good thing.. Next if you are concerned right click on the error log and choose Configure and check where your error logs are being written to and check the Agent log Level. Sometime these can be left unticked.

Have fun

CodeOn

😛

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply