sql server spatial data tutorial

• Hello my fellas Sql Server experts...

I have been a SQLDBA for over 15 years..but never work with spatial data types. Can someone suggest a tutorial or book I can read to learn as much as possible about the topic.

• To my knowledge, the only book specifically on this topic was written back in 2008 or so (looking it up, seems the book got updated in 2012). However, here's an introductory article in Simple-Talk. If you follow the link below to my blog, I have a few older articles on it. I haven't worked with it extensively in about 10 years, so the blog posts are all old. Funny enough, the technology hasn't shifted radically in that time, so many of them are still applicable.

It all gets pretty tricky. Testing is your friend. Focus on the density of the grids and whether or not your queries are eliminating data sets of including data sets. Grid density supports each differently, so turning it up or down will affect performance differently depending on the query.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply