SQL Server side trigger

• hi friends,

I need to create a server trigger to automatically map a login to a new database and make it a member of the db_owner database role.

I was trying the logon trigger but having some tough time with it.

Please can anyone help me with it

Thanks

T

• tauseef.jan (9/27/2012)

hi friends,

I need to create a server trigger to automatically map a login to a new database and make it a member of the db_owner database role.

Thanks

T

Not sure I quite understand this one? Are you trying to dynamically add permissions when a specified user logs in?

• I suspect what you want here is a DDL trigger on create database, not a login trigger.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • tauseef.jan (9/27/2012)

hi friends,

Thanks

T

Two ways i can think of that are a little easire;

1. add the user to teh model database, so any database that is created via CREATE DATABASE command automatically inherits it.

2. create a sceduled job that checks each database each day, and adds the user if it's not there.

now, if you really want a trigger, it's going to require dynamic SQL and elevated permissions(because of the dynamic sql), so I think have a rough example sketched out.

the problem with that trigger is it cannot catch the AUDIT_BACKUP_RESTORE_EVENT event, i beleve; for that you want to use event notifications.

if i restore a database form another server, or previous backup, would you want that special user auto-magically added to that one as well?

this is a snippet adding a specific user;

it's untested , but a modification of a snippet i already had and tested once.

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

ALTER TRIGGER [SERVER_TR_ADD_ClientAdminX_TO_NEW_DBS]

ON ALL SERVER

FOR CREATE_DATABASE

AS

declare @eventData XML;

declare @dbname varchar(100);

set @eventData = EVENTDATA()

SELECT @dbname = @eventData.value('data(/EVENT_INSTANCE/DatabaseName)[1]', 'SYSNAME')

--Dynamic SQL so we can get the context?

DECLARE @sql VARCHAR(max)

PRINT 'dbname ' + ISNULL(@dbname,'whoops!')

SET @sql='

USE [THEDBNAME];

PRINT db_name() + '': ADDING User ClientXAdmin ''

IF EXISTS(SELECT name FROM master.sys.server_principals WHERE name = N''ClientXAdmin'' AND type = ''S'') --''S'' = SQL login

AND NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.database_principals WHERE name = N''ClientXAdmin'' AND type = ''S'')

CREATE USER [ClientXAdmin] FOR LOGIN [ClientXAdmin];

EXEC sp_addrolemember N''AlmostOwners'', N''ClientXAdmin'' --which role(s) should he be added to?

'

SET @sql = REPLACE(@sql,'[THEDBNAME]',@dbname)

PRINT '@sql = ' + ISNULL(@sql,' double whoops!')

EXECUTE(@sql)

GO

SET ANSI_NULLS OFF

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER OFF

GO

ENABLE TRIGGER [SERVER_TR_ADD_ClientAdminX_TO_NEW_DBS] ON ALL SERVER

GO

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Lowel,

That looks interesting, I'm looking for something similar except based on a restore of the database, the reason is that we have a partially locked down Dev box where only a select few have admin rights in order to mimic client servers.

Would this work for Windows Authenticated users?

Which event would I need to trap for a Restore?

• Thanks guys, especially Lowell for the code snippet.

Actually I need, when a user creates/restores a database on the server

he should be automatically be assigned to db_owner role.

Thanks

T

• tauseef.jan (9/28/2012)

Thanks guys, especially Lowell for the code snippet.

Actually I need, when a user creates/restores a database on the server

he should be automatically be assigned to db_owner role.

Thanks

T

well, like i mentioned, the specific event for the restore is AUDIT_BACKUP_RESTORE_EVENT (MSDN linky)

That event can only be handled in an event notification, you get an error like this if you modified my example to include that event:

Msg 1082, Level 15, State 1, Procedure SERVER_TR_ADD_ClientAdminX_TO_NEW_DBS, Line 27

"AUDIT_BACKUP_RESTORE_EVENT" does not support synchronous trigger registration.

My reference for Event Notificatioons is this article:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Event+Notifications/68831/

i built a nice skeleton for myself based on that article, but never carried it out farther than that.

basically, you create a procedure that does the work you want for the specific event(s), and the event notification calls the procedure.

it's a little deeper SQL dive into some of the kewlest SQL functionalities, which is why i mentioned a schedule job doing the work might be easier for you to do

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks Lowell,

I love playing with kewl stuff in SQL server, thankfully I've got a couple of instances on VM's I can play around with in case I mess up 😀

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply