SQL server services in "AUTOMATIC" start type doesn't start after a server reboot.

• Hi all, i'm having the following issue, I have a server (Windows server 2003 R2 SP2) with two instances, one SQL enterprise and one SQL express, both are 2005 (sp3). The problem is with the enterprise, when the server is restarted the service is not starting automaticly, I need to do it manually. The thing is that is not showing anything on the event viewer or on the error log, is like the service is not attempting to start, I've also checked the registry and all looks fine.

I really don't know what is wrong, because the service is in automatic start type and I also compared it with the express instance on the registry and the service parameter are the same, and the express is starting always after any server reboot.

If anyone can help me will be great,

Thanks in advanced.

• Are you sure there are no messages in the System Event log? I recently had the same problem where the services were trying to start, but timing out, after a reboot. There were errors in the System event log. If your problem is a time-out, this may help

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884495

If there are no messages in either the System or Application event log, I have no ideas for you.

Cindy

• CavyPrincess (6/10/2011)

Are you sure there are no messages in the System Event log? I recently had the same problem where the services were trying to start, but timing out, after a reboot. There were errors in the System event log. If your problem is a time-out, this may help

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884495

If there are no messages in either the System or Application event log, I have no ideas for you.

Cindy

Hi Cindy,

Thanks for your help, look I checked and the error you talk about is not on my event but there is the event

"Application popup: Service Control Manager : At least one service or driver failed during system startup. Use Event Viewer to examine the event log for details."

So I will check if we can do the test in the server. Meanwhile if someone else has something more will be great.

Thanks again cindy.

• Check the dependencies on the service - you are probably missing one or more that are required for SQL Server to start.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply