SQl Server Rollback?

• Hi All,

I have an installation of SQL server 2000 which has had SQL Service pack 3 applied to it. However one of the databases in the SQL server does not work with this particular service pack, does anyone know the best way to roll back the system. Please note that the people who updated to SP3 did not back up the msdb, master or model databases before the upgrade. I am wondering if I do a backup of the database in question is it possible to restore that database to an SQL server running service pack 2 (any compatability issues). What I had in mind was to either do a full back up and restore the db with the move command to another SQL box that is running SP2 however I do not know if it is this straght forward, I also thought of detaching the DB from the SQL server with SP3 and then attaching it to the SQL server with SP2. Does anyone know if this will cause an issue

Regards

Law76

• SP3a read-me file says.

To revert to the pre-SP3a versions of SQL Server 2000 components, you must have back ups of the master, msdb, and model databases taken prior to installing SP3a

"one of the databases in the SQL server does not work with this particular service pack"

Can you give some more details about what kind of issues you are having.

• Thanks for the reply,

The database actually works it is one of the frontends that works with this database that is causing the issue. Basically there is a ASP page that accesses the data in this database however there is a particular hotfix that is rolled into service pack 3 that changes the security settings in sql server which inturn makes this ASP page error out when accessing the backend. I have taken a backup of the database in question and restored it to another sql server which is running SQL server service pack 2. This seemed to work correctly however I am not sure whether the msdb, master and model databases need to also be copied to this machine.

Regards

Regards

• Are you referring to cross database ownership ? That's something you can turn on and off with sp_dboption

• The service packs generally updates various SQLserver files on disk (under folder \program files\Microsoft SQL Server\), various stored procedures in Master and possibly structure changes to the system tables in the system databases. If you haven't had any problems since moving your database to another server it looks like sp3a didn't make any structure changes to the system tables in your database, so you should be OK. Don't move your MSDB, master or model databases to the new server as they would then be incompatible with the files in your \program files\Microsoft SQL server directory on the new server, due to the sp3a changes. If you need to copy logons or jobs across to the new server, that relate to your database, do it manually or using DTS.

Peter

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply