SQL Server on SAN

• I have to deploy a database onto our customer's SAN.  The customer is having the SAN configured before I get a look at it.  My question is, What should I be asking before deploying the database?  Anyone with info on SQL Server deployment on SAN's would be most helpful as I haven't done this before and I'm not entirely sure how SAN's function in terms of where I should be placing db files (does it really matter or does the SAN take care of it?).  Are there issues with running SQL Server on a SAN?

Thanks,

Angela

• A SAN is a High Availability storage solution which links physical drives on a storage device to the local machine by either Direct attached HBAs (host bus adapters) or through a Fabric connection via a Fibre Channel switch to the SAN Storage device. You can store you database files on the san with either one or two storage groups for redundency. Typically you should have seperate drives or partitions for your logs=Raid 1, database files=Raid 5, and your quorum drive= Raid 1 (Basic only not dynamic) to store the cluster configurations. Once you setup your SAN Agents on the specific SQL servers then whatever storage group that you have assigned the hosts, then they will be presented with a local physical drive that you can split up. SQL databases run the best when stored on a SAN because of the increased I/O Performance gain over storing on local Server physical drives. If you need anymore help then just send me an email john.deavers@deaversnet.com

Thanks,

John Deavers

DEAVERSNET Technologies

MCSA,MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA,CCNP,CCIE

• Sorry if I am late with this but Brent Ozar has very good description of what to do if you nave ability and time for that: http://www.brentozar.com/archive/2009/05/san-multipathing-part-1-what-are-paths/

Alex Prusakov

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply